E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 Rear Seat Belts not retracting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 M111.957 Kompressor
W210 Rear Seat Belts not retracting

Hi Guys,

I've got a W210 thats 11yr old now and few days ago my rear right side seat belt just wouldn't retract! They looked quite ok previously as rear seat belts aren't as worn/used as the front ones. Initially I wasn't that worried because from my previous experience with older Benz (115,123), I can get OEM seat belts very cheap ($30USD or less).

I called almost all the stockists (in Singapore) and started getting worried. No one stocks these as they said there's too many colour coded seat belts and everyone's suggesting I order directly from Mercedes (Original). My regular stockists who carries alot of OEM brands for mercedes advised the same - that I should stop searching and just order directly. But its very costly for these belts I realised.

The rear seat belt isn't connected to the SRS but it cost about USD130. My front seat belts are getting weak and you have to feed them back to retract - I guess this is just wear/tear. The front ones are US220 each! As I'm going to use this car for many years to come, I'm thinking of replacing them.

I've done some homework on the forum and also contacted some seat belt makers (securon) but they are mostly based in the US. So if I approach them and ask about E200 (W210) they would just reject me flatly since there isn't any such models in the US. They wouldn't want to even check my chasis number - I believe the chasis is similar to several other versions of W210 in the US. I've also contacted some big manufacturers like Autoliv but they do not have a presence in Singapore and do not know what model is compatible.

So I would appreciate some advise - or perhaps if someone have had these issues before and know if it's just a simple maintenance I could try to work on the belt reel? Maybe just the spring reel came loose?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 M111.957 Kompressor
Hi all, for the benefit of other forummers who might come across the same problem - I later found out that it's due to the selt belt that was stuck, instead of being faulty.

I dismantled the cover (rear A column beam?) where the belt reel was. Once opened, I found that the original manufacturer was Autoliv. There's like a gas tube behind the belt reel - don't know what that was. Is that part of SRS?

The end of the belt was a little twisted / folded and thats why it was stuck and not retracting. I unfolded it and the whole belt started retracting (yes!!)
Old 06-14-2012, 01:34 AM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
FYI

Originally Posted by kianbeng
Hi all, for the benefit of other forummers who might come across the same problem - I later found out that it's due to the seat belt that was stuck, instead of being faulty.

I dismantled the cover (rear A column beam?) where the belt reel was. Once opened, I found that the original manufacturer was Autoliv. There's like a gas tube behind the belt reel - don't know what that was. Is that part of SRS?

The end of the belt was a little twisted / folded and thats why it was stuck and not retracting. I unfolded it and the whole belt started retracting (yes!!)
Yes, it is part of the SRS system.

That little gas tube is an explosive seat belt tensioner.

Warning: Don't ever try to ship them by US postal service.
All SRS explosive devices are banned.
It is a criminal act that can easily be traced back and prosecuted.

https://www.usps.com/ship/can-you-ship-it.htm#hazmat

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/res...?WT.svl=SubNav

http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guid...-goods-hazmat/

Roy@PelicanParts.com

Old 10-29-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 S55, 2002 E430, 2007 CLK350, 1981 380SL
I bought an OEM used set on Ebay due to the same issue...I had to swap the belt due to color but I'm good to go. got the set for $115 and the assembly fit like a glove....the other I am keeeping as a spare.
Mike