E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Autohausaz diff seals for E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55 AMG
Autohausaz diff seals for E320

Had a strange parts problem yesterday. A while back I ordered axle seals for the differential (technically "center axle assembly") for my 97 E320, from autohausaz.com. The part number is A025 997 2647. I then attempted to remove the differential from the car but the axle bolts were impossible to unscrew. I knew that an acetylene torch and other tricks would be needed, so I turned the job over to the general repair shop up the street, which definitely does not specialize in MB, but they were willing to take it on if I supplied the parts.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
The axle bolts were removed, with difficulty. I got the car at 100K miles so I don't know, but the mech thinks the bolts have been out before, and someone used a very excessive amount of loctite, even knowing that the new bolts come with some loctite on them. One problem solved. BTW I also bought 12 new axle bolts and 3 new driveshaft nuts as these are supposed to be one-use items.<o:p></o:p>
Once the diff was taken apart, the shop called to say the new side seals wouldn't fit right. I went to the shop and sure enough, they were much too small in the outside diameter of the rubber disk part - a loose fit in the side openings of the diff housing. The shaft fit seemed ok but no way these would hold oil in the housing.
<o:p></o:p>
We decided the autohaus seals must be the wrong part, somehow. I called the local MB dealer, and fortunately they said the seals were in stock, so I made the trip. The dealer seals were exactly the same part number. I took them to the shop anyway, and they were a perfect fit.
I despise the local MB dealer because of the incredible amount of paint damage they did to my other car (S55) last year when I took it to them for front brake replacement. I have avoided darkening their door since then. In this case, the non-dealer parts were no good. The MB parts dept also pointed out that there is a third seal, for the driveshaft input, which I should have figured out, but I am a complete amateur. The shop doing the job of course knew this too. All 3 will be replaced.
I should get the car back sometime today, and will begin monitoring the new seals and hoping for the best. The new seals are a different part number than the original, and look quite different too, but this is intended, according to the stealer.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
This a perfect example as to why I always use the MB EPC site to determing part numbering requirements. When in doubt call!!

Doing it from memory or listening to all those Seattle Sam's are expensive!!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 S55 AMG
#'s

I should have summarized at the end. Both the autohaus and MB parts had the same number, A025 997 2647. The autohaus seals would not fill the opening in the diff housing.