E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

newbie with a heater headache.please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 e240 avantguarde
newbie with a heater headache.please help

hi everyone this is my first post so be gentle lol.basically i have a 1998 e240 with a blower issue.my blower would only work on low speed and not increase at all.i grounded the motor and it would blow at full speed.i checked the diagnostics on the climate panel and sure enough 6.0volts was being directed to the regulator so thought regulator was at fault.i ordered the w140 part from ebay for the sum of £32,link below
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1808644219...ht_2547wt_1110

ive installed it as per the great diy thread on here about it.switched it on and low and behold it blew at full power,i thought great job done.then a minute later it slowly slowed down to a wisper again.i found that leaving it on low speed for a while will allow me to turn it upto max but only for short periods before it slows down to a wisper again.have i bought a cheapy regulator as it seems to kind of be overheating.btw i had to cut some heatsink pins off the motor to fit the regulator as the new one was bigger than the old.i also crimped the existing loom to the new regulator harness,would that make any difference?.one final thing,it came with some paste which i applied to the bottom of the regulator before i screwed it to the motor,is this right or does the regulator get bolted down dry?

please please help as i feel its better but know its not right

Last edited by essexmarc; 07-03-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 PM

W210 E300D
Yup your new regulator is most likely toast. What I would suggest is first remove the blower from the car and see if it spins freely, if not your blower may be at fault as well. As for pin cutting, are you sure you have the old style regulator, cause there is no cutting involved for most people. The paste, you must apply a very thin uniform coat, you most likely won't even need the whole tube that they send you.

What I would suggest(if the motor is fine, and this it the correct regulator for your car), disconnect the wiring from the regulator and send it back to the seller for a replacement, if you leave the wiring on they will most likely say that your tempering with the wires caused the problem.

If you are successful at obtaining a replacement, be very careful when removing its wiring to replace with the modified one, as those Chinese regulators are quite flimsy. Also double check all your splices. Soldering is the preferred method but if cannot do it that way, I would recommend sourcing some insulated terminal blocks from a hardware store overlap the two wires and screw it tight, make sure to insulate it properly.

If all fails get a quality replacement unit from a reputable online store.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 AM

1998 e240 avantguarde
thank you for your reply its a great help.i took the motor out and spins no problem and will blow on full speed when given a good earth so pretty sure the motor is ok.
regards the regulator i had an early style little black box which had a loom attached to it.part number 9140010281.i had to splice as the loom on the new regulator seemed too short.as it worked better with the new regulator i would say its a dodgy chinese one that i purchased.you think they would replace it with the chopped wiring and can you recommend a decent company to obtain one from here in the uk or a company that will deliver to the uk without high import fees?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:14 PM

W210 E300D
There is a connection between your replacement regulator and it's wiring, disconnect it before sending it back and they won't know if you chopped the wires or not.

I can't assist you with picking a supplier, cause I'm from the other side of the pond, perhaps someone else would chime in.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 AM

1998 e240 avantguarde
Originally Posted by CKonstantin
There is a connection between your replacement regulator and it's wiring, disconnect it before sending it back and they won't know if you chopped the wires or not.

I can't assist you with picking a supplier, cause I'm from the other side of the pond, perhaps someone else would chime in.
yeah could do but they will be suspicious if it goes back without a loom attached to it surely.
ive seen this one but seems a lot of money for a used one but its 100% correct for my car
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007812060...ht_3006wt_1344
Old 07-06-2012, 04:55 PM

W210 E300D
You should be able to find a new Behr unit for less than that.