E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

w210 Bose system issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic
w210 Bose system issues

I have a 1998 E320 4Matic with a the Bose system and car phone. The system is fully stock. The problem is: My rear door speakers are blown. They do get a signal that I have checked with a voltmeter, but I am positive they are blown. Recently, i have been getting large crackling and poping noises from the front driver speaker (sounds more the woofer) and two rear deck subwoofers. The only speaker that is clear are the front passenger speakers (Tweeter and Woofer). I cannot figure out what is wrong. I was thinking it was a wire but now that its three speakers doing it i am not sure. Is it the amplifier in which case, should i just replace the whole system.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 PM

2001 E320
Crackling and popping are usually a loose, dirty connection( if the volume control was analog a dirty pot would be the usual culprit) or a failing amplifier. Buzzing or distortion coinciding with sound are usually a torn cone or surround speaker issues. A fried voice coil usually emits no sound or intermittent distorted sound because the cone is frozen or the voice coil is rubbing against the magnet. When you say you have tested with Volt/Ohm meter and are sure they are getting signal what are you measuring? Impedance or voltage? If you are measuring at the speaker, a better test would be to use a cheap test speaker you know is good and see how that sounds. Of course start at a low volume so you don't blow that speaker. If you get the same problems then it is the amp. You could have some speakers blown by the bad amplifier also but the first step would be to make sure the signal to the speakers is good or bad.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:12 PM

1998 Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic
Update: I had my amp sent out to factory service center. They did a complete refurbishment but said they couldn't find a failure. (Oh well it would have eventually failed, so i guess it's preventative maintenance.) The current situation is that the Front driver is still crackling and popping like crazy. The front passenger is fine and so are the subs. I can't tell about the rear door. After amp repair, i get a little sound out of the passenger one but not sure about the driver. How much work do the rear doors do?.
Also, I have noticed that, if i have i turn the system on but have nothing playing, i can hear the popping go through to the subs. I can hear it in the front passenger as a less loud, very quiet popping that I hear only when next to it (you can barely hear it). I am beginning to suspect a failing headunit. Are the rear doors driven directly off the head? The unit works fine but i think it might be the common culprit instead of a wiring harness (the car is in flawless shape..just over 100,000 with full dealer history so i doubt a harness could have failed without any other symptoms popping up). \

EDIT: The headunit was faulty and is now replaced...ALL FIXED!

Last edited by DittyW210; 11-21-2012 at 11:17 AM.