E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Rear AC vent question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Question Rear AC vent question...

Sorry if this a stupid question but why doesn't my rear AC vent blow any air out of it (hardly)? I have tried closing and openning the vent in the center console as to possibly give it more air and hardly anything comes out! Is there something simple that I am missing and I'm just dumb (no comments thank you) or could it be plugged up or detached or something ?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Jimmy, not a stupid question at all - had the same experience and did the same thing

Never really got to the bottom of it coz I hardly ever have any rear passengers but I think it has something to do with the vents in the armrest box in the centre console (is that what you did or do you mean the one's above the aircon switches ). From memory I think closing (or was it openning?) those vents would do the trick (which are pretty useless anyway unless you want to keep a couple of beers cool during summer! ). I'll have a try tomorrow (its now midnight where I am BTW) and get back to you. Watch this space......
Old 07-18-2003, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks Whitey. If I get home at any decent hour today I will try again but I tried openning and closing the stupid vent (which keeps my gum from melting) in the center console and nothing changed, even with the air on high. I wonder if I should be using a different setting on the AC unit???
Old 07-18-2003, 12:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Speaking of a/c's, I'd like to share an experience with you all.

I once installed one of those turbine add-ons (that are supposed to improve airflow into the engine) in the pipe connected to the engine (after the filter) and found I got very weak airflow from the A/C. There's a number of them on the market but mine was called "Turbojet" and they're supposed to increase pickup, power and save fuel by "twsiting" and concetrating the airflow. Can anyone explain why this has any adverse effects on the A/C?

I've since been advised to install it before the filter. I feel I did get a little improvement on pickup, especially whilst cruising, my engine idles more smoothly and minor improvements on fuel economy.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally posted by jimmydagreek
Thanks Whitey. If I get home at any decent hour today I will try again but I tried openning and closing the stupid vent (which keeps my gum from melting) in the center console and nothing changed, even with the air on high. I wonder if I should be using a different setting on the AC unit???

That's a good point, instead of using "Auto" (airflow), try the manual selections........
Old 07-18-2003, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 s500 sport
It should work even if you have it on auto but it works best on auto if you have the front middle vents on the dash closed and the vents in the armrest closed. Then people in the back get a nice breeze and you get a nice breeze from the side vents. There is no "middle blower" to intensify the air flow to the back so If you open all the vents in front and in the armrest the one in the back gets whatever is left. Possible too that maybe your blower motor is a little tired? My 98 E430 blows decent air in the back but nothing that would "blow you away" It's more like a light breeze.
Old 07-18-2003, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Inspect the Plastic Vent Tube to the rear vent..If Someone had the console apart they may have overlooked the Connection
It WILL reduce air flow..

BTW Im Working on the Aux center blower from a W203 wagon for My W210 wagon...It goes in the console and reduces space in the center console but it Works GREAT! LOTS of Air! I FOUND it in the W203 wagon Rental from the Dealer...
Old 07-18-2003, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS
Inspect the Plastic Vent Tube to the rear vent..If Someone had the console apart they may have overlooked the Connection
It WILL reduce air flow..

BTW Im Working on the Aux center blower from a W203 wagon for My W210 wagon...It goes in the console and reduces space in the center console but it Works GREAT! LOTS of Air! I FOUND it in the W203 wagon Rental from the Dealer...
6.3, I have plenty of air coming from the front which can nearly blow me away but hardly anything in the rear. I will try what you suggested.

Mark, when I have a minute I am going to check the plastic vent tube to see if there is anything wrong there. BTW, let me know how it goes with the aux. blower. Sounds interesting as my passengers are nearly dieing in the back with the heat we've been getting lately.

Thanks for you help guys.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
On a sidenote...I have taken apart quiet a number of W210s to install comand...and in 2 of the 210's I took apart one of the tubes needed for the rear airflow (5 tubes in total) was missing...these cars were only serviced by MB DEALERships...no tube -- no airflow...

greetingz,
Old 07-18-2003, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

5 TUBES!!! Steve, do all of these tubes go through the console to the rear vent? I'm wondering how one could become missing ? I am going to check it out as soon as I can. Thanks for the input...
Old 07-18-2003, 06:39 PM

2003 s500 sport
Isn't there also a vent under each front seat coming out in front of the rear seat? Or is it only for the fresh air/heating?
Old 07-18-2003, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 6.3
Isn't there also a vent under each front seat coming out in front of the rear seat? Or is it only for the fresh air/heating?
I believe so but I don't have my car with me at the moment. I don't what is supposed to come out of them if there are any...
Old 07-19-2003, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Jimmy, 6.3's correct - for mine it was just a matter of the front vents using up all the airflow. However, I would add if you closed the front vents only half way (as opposed to closing it all) you'll still have the front vents working. You might have to turn up the fan just a little if you still want to get blown away up front but given you've getting plenty up front already (like mine), maybe the simple step I'd just descirbed will give everyone a pleasant share of the air (mmmm, kinda rhymes...... )

Hope its not as difficult as having to take it all apart and replace/add pipes.......good luck!
Old 07-19-2003, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Hope everyone's now got a share of the AC. On a lighter note, here's an interesting T-shirt........have a nice weekend!
Attached Thumbnails Rear AC vent question...-warnerbro.jpg  
Old 07-20-2003, 01:27 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally posted by jimmydagreek
5 TUBES!!!
From the heater housing 2 tubes (R&L) to the ashtray...from there 1 piece to the rear in which the center armrest vent connects...then a bend at the end that goes upwards and the final vent in the rear for the passenger...5 pieces in total...

greetingz,
Old 07-20-2003, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
jimmy, let me know if you get it to work, cause a couple of my buddies said the same thing, they were melting in the rear seats..it seems like it doesn't work
Old 07-21-2003, 08:43 PM

Not a Benzer anymore
And this is needed for???

To keep the (maybe if you got it) cell phone cool?
Attached Thumbnails Rear AC vent question...-armrestvent.jpg  
Old 07-21-2003, 10:42 PM

2003 s500 sport
This is to keep your hot soda a little less hot.

Actually if you are still trying to get the rear vents more potent close the vents inside the arm rest totally unless you want to keep your hot soda there.

Last edited by 6.3; 07-21-2003 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Actually came in handy when I had to take a block of butter in the heat , Jimmy likes to keep his gum in solid state , 6.3, his soda, I'm also sure it'll be good for transporting milk for an extended period too........mmmm, when you think about it, this can be quite a handy option.....sometimes But beware when carrying liquids! Otherwise you'll have the unlucky experiences of another member and his OJ (an earlier thread).....

Cell phones, nuh, not a good idea cos u can't really hear them ring in there.
Old 07-22-2003, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I also took 6.3's advice and closed the dash vents and the internal center console vents and finally a bit more air came out of the rears. I had to have the AC on high to get a gentle breeze in the rear seats but I am still not happy with the outcome. Maybe Mark's aux. fan will be a good solution. I will wait to hear. Thanks for all of your help guys...
Old 07-22-2003, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Man, that sux - may be it is the connections/tubes afterall. Good luck!