E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

FOB acts strange

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E320 Wagon, '05 C240 Wagon
Question FOB acts strange

October last year I got a new FOB for my 99 e320 at the dealer.
After a week or so, my car started to miss-fire occasionally. Went to the garage and they said: tune-up needed. $600 later, new plugs, wires and fuel filter, the same problem occurred. Plus once in a while the alarm would go off for no obvious reason. Went back to the garage, no codes found what so ever. Could be the crank shaft position sensor. Replaced that as well. No cure for the problem.
As I still had the old FOB, I started using that one again. No problems what so ever. Replaced the battery in the new key and started using that one again; same problems. Went back to the MB garage and explained what I found out. They ran another check, no codes what so ever. Their advice: new lock in the dash.
I'm arguing that it is the key, and not the lock. Why would this only happen with the new key and not with the original? I called MB USA yesterday to see if they could do anything. Nope, it all has to go through the dealer I got the FOB from. No codes, no replacement under warranty. And we have never heard of such a thing happening anyway.
In order to possibly anything, the dealer will have to have the car for 4 or 5 days to see if they can reproduce the issues.
Well, renting a car for 5 days is going to cost me far more than $275, which is the price for a new key.
Has anybody ever had similar issues with their key, and if so, how was it resolved?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Strange indeed.

Firstly though the battery will not effect the matter because the battery in the fob is not for the ignition system, just the alarm and door entry system.

Could be a loose coil in the key maybe. Are you good with a soldering iron?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'99 E320 Wagon, '05 C240 Wagon
Not so much, I probably could find someone. But opening the key, other than to change the battery will surly void the warranty. If all fails, I'll give that a go. Thanks!
Just got a survey from MB USA on how my experience was on the phone. Haven't been nasty or anything, but did let them know that this was not my way of getting a good customer relationship going.