E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Tandem pump question...ABC/PS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
Tandem pump question...ABC/PS

I've had some ABC problems in the past. I had to have the pump replaced in April as the car had displaying white and red ABC warnings and finally one day blew up (fluid leaked out everywhere and car sank down all the way on the front). I ended up going with a rebuilt pump.

Everything was pretty much fine until then. I did notice the front driver wheel would sink a little bit when the car sat....even for a few minutes it seemed. However, I never got any ABC warnings and the car would go up and down on request. It did this from the day I got the car back when the pump was replaced (don't remember it ever happening before pump was replaced).

Finally...I started getting the dreaded ABC warning again about 6 weeks ago. However, when I turned car off and restarted it..warning went away. Matter of fact, warning didn't come on at all the last month so I figured maybe there was air trapped in the system when the warning came on weeks ago.

Fast forward to last night....I notice at the end of my ride home...that there is a loud groaning noise when I turned the steering wheel...seemed to go away when I hit the gas. There was never any groan noise, not even minor, before last night.

I dicked around with it for about 10 minutes last night....and before I know it, the power steering stopped working altogether and I have a ton of Pentosin under car.

However (and I have not driven car since....only started it in park).....the ABC still lifts and lowers fine....no warning lights are on...and the car didn't sag at all overnight.

The fluid level on ABC is fine...however, the pentosin is basically empty on the PS dipstick.

Is it possible for only the PS side of pump to go out (which I know means I'd have to replace it again).

It's just odd that the ABC is working fine and that fluid level isn't affected.

I'm just trying to diagnose if it might be a PS hose burst.....or whether steering rack is out? Or ?