E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

buying an E320 96+ what to look for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buying an E320 96+ what to look for?

I am thinking of buying an E320 1996+, with approximately 90.000 miles.

Are there any common problems that I should be aware of?

Also I've noticed several E420/E430's selling for less than an E320 with the same miles/same year. Why is that? Is there some problem with the E4xx?

thanks!

Thomas
Old 08-14-2003, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: buying an E320 96+ what to look for?

1. Look for the notoriously known head-gasket problem. It will either cause oil burn, or oil-leak. From 98 on, Benz use V-6 in all 6 cylinder models (except S320), which is more reliable.
2. Make sure that the aux-fan & main fan work well. Lot of Benz got into problem of hot engine. Not really at the level of over-heat, but can raise your blood pressure. This ususally happen when AC is on
3. Alignment: a lot of E are so out of wack w/ alignment & car drift to one side. It can be quite anoying, and even w/ dealer, take several visits to fix
4. Stereo is usually go bad: volume doesn't really sync w/ control knob. Radio go from bad to horrible.
5. Make sure there's no jerky in transmission.
6. Check for AC. Lot of E serie take a long time to get cold. Sometime, it's not even cold after AC has been on for a quite. Could be simply AC recharge, but could also be AC compressor, or hose leak, both of which are costly to fix.
7. No engine check whatsoever. The common problem of MAS sensor can be costly. The oxygen sensor too.

Other than that, it's a good car. At the dealer where I visit, an E420 will cost same, or less than E320 at same year, same milage. I'm told it's all up to supply and demand. E420 was told to be more costly to maintain & more problematic, and doesn't provide that much more horse power. That's my advisor words, not mine.

Originally posted by Tthomas
I am thinking of buying an E320 1996+, with approximately 90.000 miles.

Are there any common problems that I should be aware of?

Also I've noticed several E420/E430's selling for less than an E320 with the same miles/same year. Why is that? Is there some problem with the E4xx?

thanks!

Thomas
Old 08-14-2003, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Spend The Money and Get a GOOD Pre Purchase Inspection Done!
Several Items to look at
Crank Pulley...
Motor Mounts
Steering Racks
Lower control arm Bushings
Cat Converters
Trans Fluid..NO Such Thing as Lifetime trans Fluid
Cracked dashes
A/C Evap tem sensors
And The Other Items Done as a Inspection
Compression/leakdown test
Service History..MB Net
Car Fax

Look for a Good Late Car..Its Worth the Extra $

Good Luck !
Old 08-14-2003, 04:50 PM

thanks for the replies guys!

I'm surprised that there are engine related issues. I have always thought of Mercedez as having bullet proof engineering. But I guess no car is perfect.

Thanks again.

Thomas
Old 08-14-2003, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
The head gasket issues were mostly a problem up until the 95 model year in the W124 models. But look for any oil leaks in the corners of the engine head.

I disagree that the inline 6 had more maintenance issues than the V6. The motor mounts last longer on an Inline 6 than the V6 because it is balanced better. The inline is a smoother running engine than the V6. Mercedes kept the inline 6 in there top of the line S Class until after the 99 model year for a lot of reasons. The V6 was made to cut production costs buy sharing parts with the 4.3L V8. They admitted that it was not optimally designed.

My 96 E320 has 96K miles and I have replaced or repaired a few things that might be quite common for it's age and milage:

Alternator (90K)
Waterpump (85K)
Fan Belt (with the waterpump 85K)
Aux cooling fan belt (95K) **dual aux fan has a belt to run the second fan, only one is powered**
Battery (Every 2 or 3 years)
Spark plugs (Every 30K **Only use Bosch coppers**)
Rear window regulator (window stuck down)
Upgraded the Stereo
Replaced Brake pads, sensors and rotors.
Dealer changed Transmission fluid at 90K service.

Check for lower control are bushings too. They will probably need to be changed.

If you have the maintenance records from the prior owner that would help.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:39 PM

Subaru STI
Hi Tthomas,

May I ask why you are buying a Mercedes??

Personally, I would not recommed it, but some people might say otherwise. Like the above postings, you see that there are a lot of problems in these newer Mecedes. Take my 98 E320 as an example, valves had been replaced at low milage, three of the four windows had been replaced, two of the four door hinges have been replaced and they are not even color coded, MAS had been replaced, creaking seat rails had been replaced many times, and the list goes on. Headaches, headaches, and more headaches. Contrastly, my 93 Camry before I sold it at 140,000 miles had never had one single problem occur, and the guy whom I sold my Camry to is extremely satified with the car's condition. If you are looking for a car with build quality, durability, and reliability, then you are looking at the wrong car. If you, like my brother, only buy this car for its name brand and prapaganda, then Mercedes is your ideal car, which Car and Driver describes it as the darkest myth of the German automobile history. If you don't care if the car is ill-fated and problem plaqued, dealer service is another factor you should consider when you buy this car. At this point, you might ask me why I still keep this car. Because my car has already drained the life out of my wallet that I can not afford a decent, fairly priced car, so as soon as I save enough money, this car will be a goner. My conclusion is that some cars age gracefully, and some Mercedes age abruptly and unpredicatbly. So please be sure to go through a couple of forums and read about what people had said about their Mercedes before making a decision in haste.

Last edited by zero4588; 08-15-2003 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:03 PM

Thank you for your reply!

I don't really know much about Mercedez. I want to get a good car for my girlfriend that I would feel comfortable her putting a lot of miles on and the first thing that came to mind was Mercedez. I was surprised to find that they are relatively cheap at least from what I expected. Where I am from (Denmark) Mercedez is known as being very reliable even with a lot of miles on them. 90% of all cabs in Denmark are Mercedez and people happily buy them with 100k+ miles on them.

As with any car there are people that have had really bad experiences, as you seem to have had. Or people who purchase a car with the wrong expectations.

I currently have an Audi and it is not the most reliable car in the world, but its not bad. I don't expect a car to be without any problems, but I don't want to walk into a money pit either....

Thomas
Old 08-16-2003, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
I used to own a Mercedes Benz 1990 E300. Bought it at 80K mile, sold at 230K mile, not much problem. The only thing that got to be replaced were the aux fan, spark-plug & wire, water pump, and fule pump relay. Super reliable car, tight & powerful.

I then bought a 96 Lexus GS300 and 98 BMW 528i, both at around 40K mile at time of purchased. The BMW needed visit to dealer for repair or service almost on monthly service, or every other month. The Lexus only visit shop for oil-change and brake. After 18 months, I couldn't take the BMW anymore (check-engine light pop up like firework, both cat-converter failed --> failed smoke check, at 80K mile !!!!) , and traded it in for a 2000 Mercedes SL500. The Lexus keep going, just like Energize bunny (still have it for now).

The SL500 got 30K mile when I bought it. Nothing wrong with the engine & transmission, however, little thing keep go wrong that require dealer visit (i.e blower fan noise, roof latch, door latch, cup-holder, glove-box ....). After 8K mile and 7 months later, I got enought, traded it in for 98 E320 (at 40K mile), took at $11K loss for trade in.

I've put close to 20K mile into the E320 so far. Nothing wrong it it. Little sensor or signal activator go a monkey once a while. But I bought the Benz Service manual & software (Mitchell, which Benz shop use), and fix it myself. Cost me nothing.

After 7 years & lot of mile, the Lexus still going strong & smooth. The BMW and SL came and go. I hope I have the same luck w/ my E320 as with my earlier E300.

The Benz is way more fun to drive, feel more stable, and higher quality than the Lexus.

Tried out the 2003 E320, didn't like it one bit. Too PLASTIKY !!!. Look & feel cheap.

As with every brand and car, once a while, you get into bad luck and happen to get a lemon, problem after problem.

I think as long as you avoid Korean & American cars (most of which are only worth for rental, American SUV and truck are good though), be selective w/ German & Japanese car (except for Lexus and Toyota, which could be bought w/ closed eyes), you'll be doing okey.

I'll take a Benz over a comparable Lexus any time, of course, only after I inspect it throughoutly.

Originally posted by Tthomas
Thank you for your reply!

I don't really know much about Mercedez. I want to get a good car for my girlfriend that I would feel comfortable her putting a lot of miles on and the first thing that came to mind was Mercedez. I was surprised to find that they are relatively cheap at least from what I expected. Where I am from (Denmark) Mercedez is known as being very reliable even with a lot of miles on them. 90% of all cabs in Denmark are Mercedez and people happily buy them with 100k+ miles on them.

As with any car there are people that have had really bad experiences, as you seem to have had. Or people who purchase a car with the wrong expectations.

I currently have an Audi and it is not the most reliable car in the world, but its not bad. I don't expect a car to be without any problems, but I don't want to walk into a money pit either....

Thomas
Old 08-16-2003, 01:19 AM

1997 E-420
Post My experience with E-420

I bought my 97 E-420 with 52000 miles last October from a private individual. I had two inspections done, one by a mercedes dealer before I closed the deal. I had to replace a bunch of instrument cluster lights, the climate control light and one of the auxiliary headlights after I first got it. Other than that it has been fault free. I have put about 21000 mi on it since. I absolutely love how the car drives and handles. I had to drive my 91 Camry today for a short trip and what a difference. I am so glad I went Mercedes.