E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

How do I remove A/C control module from dash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E320
How do I remove A/C control module from dash?

The lamp for the A/C control module on my E-320(W210) has burned out. How do I remove the A/C control unit from the dash in order to replace the lamp?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 02-16-2013, 10:54 PM

1998 E430 Sport
Stick a pair of MB radio removal keys in the slots at the bottom left/right of the front face of the unit and pull it out. On the bottom of the unit, you'll see the bottom of a small white bulb holder in the center - give it a turn and pull it out, replace bulb (OSRAM/Sylvania 2721) and that's it.

If you don't have the radio removal keys, Metra, Scosche and others make sets you can find on Amazon - you can also get a set from your MB dealer or most any auto store.

I don't have keys, but I used a pair of brass collar stays. Shoved 'em in, applied pressure towards the outward sides and 'walked' the unit right out.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:42 PM

Mercedes E320
Dear Blackjacker,

Thank you for your reply and detailed information. Greatly appreciated.

Neither do I have the removal keys, but looking at the photos on Amazon, I am attempting to fabricate similar keys. I have an old hacksaw blade, but appears this may be too wide as it does not want to slip in between the frame and the module. Any comments on approximate thickness for keys?

Ed
Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 AM

1998 E430 Sport
Originally Posted by egorth
Dear Blackjacker,

Thank you for your reply and detailed information. Greatly appreciated.

Neither do I have the removal keys, but looking at the photos on Amazon, I am attempting to fabricate similar keys. I have an old hacksaw blade, but appears this may be too wide as it does not want to slip in between the frame and the module. Any comments on approximate thickness for keys?

Ed
To be sure, you're not putting it "between the frame and the module." There are slots on the right and left sides of the front face of the unit itself, that's where the tools go.

As for thickness... thin. Like nail file/emery board/collar stay thin.

Or hanging file folder wire support thin: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...-your-own.html
Old 02-17-2013, 03:17 PM

Mercedes E320
Blackjacker,

Thanks again for your reply. I was looking on the left and right side when I should have been looking at the two narrow horizontal slots starring me in the face.

I fabricated a module/radio removal tool out of two jigsaw blades. Used the table grinder to remove the jagged teeth, narrowed the thickness of the blades and finished by tapering one side of teach of the two blades.

Inserted the jigsaw blades, tapered side towards the center of the A/C module and pushed the blades also towards the center of the A/C module to release the two spring tabs on each side and the module easily came out.

Replaced the bulb with a new Sylvania 2721 and the module now lights up when the running lights are turned on. But for some reason the "lamp defective" message still displays when the lights are turned on. When you turn the driving lights on, the radio lamp turns on, but the A/C module lamp delays before it turns on, which I believe is why the "defective lamp" error displays. The A/C module lamp also delays before turning off when the running lights are turned off.

Would you or anyone know if there is an error code that needs to be reset to resolve this strange behavior? I did remove and reinsert the lamp, just in case it was not seating properly, but did not fix the lamp defective display. Also when replacing the lamp, I did not remove the two electrical connectors or any of the battery terminals.

Ed
Old 02-17-2013, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
the lamp malfunction system only interrogates external light bulbs
Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 PM

Mercedes E320
Raymond,

I feel much better now knowing the lamp error message is due to something else. Thank you for passing on that information.

Ed
Old 02-18-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG, 06 C55 AMG, 72 350SL
Check all of your brake lights, turn signals, headlights etc
Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 PM

Mercedes E320
Vander,

It was the small side marker lamp that had burned out. The lamp type was different than what's listed at Autozone or O"reilly's for Mercedes 1996, E320. The lamp that I used as a replacement ended up being a Sylvania #168, which has specs 14V & 4.9W, close enough to the 12V & 5W rating on the old bulb.

Thank you everyone for all your valuable inputs to resolve these two problems.

Ed
Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 AM

MB E320 W210
Module/radio removal free tool

Next time you're walking around a city street, keep your eyes open for a street sweeper "bristle". Narrow, about 8" long spring steel and a great free tool for all kinds of work.
One end is usually "sharpened" from wear on the pavement and makes a great mini-scraper.
I used them today to get the radio and AC module out to try and access the back of the hazard switch.
I have a problem with the turn signal lights coming on but not blinking.

Any ideas out there?

All relevant fuses checked...
Thanks and aloha~
Old 03-10-2014, 07:38 PM

1996 e320
Do you mean that the signals come on all by themselves, or they won't blink when turned on?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:40 PM

MB E320 W210
Willardcpa aloha~
When I toggle the turn signal lever or push the hazard button, The lights all come on, on the 4 corners of the car as well as on the instrument panel, but they don't blink.....
I've checked all relevant #4&5 fuses in both locations, disconnected battery, disconnected wiring from the module on the passenger side engine compartment near the firewall with 5 separate relays inside and no change..

I know they worked as I had to drive it home (95 miles in limp mode )when I bought it. Changed the conductor plate in the tranny, took out the shift module and inspected and cleaned it out then when I was taking it to an Indy shop to have the P7 tranny codes erased, I noticed this problem.
Unfortunately, with this state of affairs, it won't pass the annual safety check so I'm technically driving illegally until I figure this out.
Any help appreciated!!,
Aloha