E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

EGR recirculation system fault

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320, 87' BMW 325is
EGR recirculation system fault

Hi guys, My check engine light just came on so I had the car scanned and got EGR recirculation system fault as a result. Well sorry for sounding dumb but where is the EGR? WHAT is the EGR? What does it look like and do? lastly is it something I can fix or clean out to make it work again or does it just have to be replaced? Any info would be great!!

TIA!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
There are books on the EGR system----do a goggle search and you will be amazed in the details-----in the macro--the EGR is a electromechanical or pneumatic mechanical actuated valve that is controlled by the ECU that allows percentages of on demand exhaust gas(torque requirements) to be reused in the combustion process. Thus reducing emissions. There is much more detail. The controls for the system vary by manufacture and by model.

The knowledge is in having the correct diagnostic tools to find what caused the fault!!

You are going to get all sorts of voodoo ideas that suggest spraying, burying st joseph in the back yard upside down, changing the crank position sensor---keep an open mind and be rational, and do some reading because you still do not know which component is faulty!!