E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Windshield Fluid not Spraying

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 E320
Angry Windshield Fluid not Spraying

Hello,

Thanks again for your help in the past.

I got a minor problem, I was hoping if anyone had any suggestions.

Here is the problem.

I used my windshield fluid few days ago to clean the window. I didnt experience any problems.

Today, I tried to use the washer and the wiper worked fine but no fluid coming out.

Opened the hood and saw the Windshield fluid 1/2 full, I had someone push the windshield washer handle in to activate the fluid motor, I heard no sound from the bottom of the resarvoir tank. I dont know if it is supposed to be very quite.

I opened the fuse box, checked 3 fuses in the engine bay, and 2 fuses under the seat. They all look good.

I dont know if this had anything to do with the problem few days ago, I was looking at the Climate control numbers by pressing REST button for 15 seconds to read various setting such as engine temp and other data it provides, did this do anything, I dont think so, but wanted to mention this.

Thanks in advance for your advise and input.

1998 E 320
Old 08-20-2003, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Sounds like the washer pump built in to the side of the washer fluid tank has gone bad or seized. You should hear a buzzing noise when it is pumping washer fluid.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:47 PM

1998 E320
Hi E Klasse,

Just saw your post after returning from the dealer and decided to buy the pump, without testing for power at the motor.

When I called the dealer this morning, he said it is a common part to be out. So, I figured to buy it and install and see what happens. I installed right there in the parking lot of the dealer, it took few minutes.

Unplug the wiring at the washer reservoir, easy thing to do is so you wont loose the fluid is, rotate the switch and than you can push the wiring tab in. Pull out the wiring, attach it to a new pump.

Use a plier to squeeze the clamp pull out the tube, at the same time pull up on the old pump, put in a new pump and quickly attach the tube. put on the clamp.

This saves the fluid, you only lose around 5-6 oz.

It worked.

List price $37, my cost $19