E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Do window weather strip need felt for tint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320
Do window weather strip need felt for tint

I have read on this forum that the windows on W210 need felt glued to window weather strips to protect window tint from scratching when windows are raised or lowered. Going with Huper Optiks tint. The installer says felt not necessary because Huper Optiks is ceramic. Has anyone had experience with this brand.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
usually, the inside 'wipe' on the glass is rubber. rubber against glass generates
no serious concern since rubber is softer than glass. but when you invest in
a pricey tint job which can be a plastic film, some folks understandably have an
heightened concern thinking that the tint may get scratched over time. this is
where the idea of moleskin/felt is used to line the inside of the window wipe
which you see just above the inside door liner.

some tints can be quite scratch resistant. I have no experience with Huper
Optiks but if you Google this, the results give indication that they have '...a
scratch resistant barrier...'

if that advertising doesn't assuage your fears, you can just pick up moleskin
from REI
, for example, is relatively inexpensive and easy to apply yourself.
removal of the door panels are quite easy
and
Old 04-11-2013, 12:04 AM

2001 E320
Thank you for the info. The installer recommends mole skin also. He is quoting $40 per door. I will check out REI.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Tint Protector sells an Anti Scratch Window tint kit for the W210. Their felt is made to prevent tint scratches. I used it on my C32 and GTR with no issues. Recommended.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:56 PM

2001 E320
I did it myself by buying self adhesive felt from a auto glass place. They charged me 10 USD for enough to do 4 doors. After doing first one, I discovered that you don't have to remove door panel completely. Meaning no electrical or mechanical disconnects. You do need to pop all the plastic trim holders and remove screws holding the interior door panel to to the door but you only need a couple of inches of separation to place the felt on the rubber and use a plastic putty knife to press it on. It is also much easier to do the job with the windows open so you can work from both sides of the door. Plan ahead and do it before tint is applied.
Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL65
Originally Posted by Paronoff
I did it myself by buying self adhesive felt from a auto glass place. They charged me 10 USD for enough to do 4 doors. After doing first one, I discovered that you don't have to remove door panel completely. Meaning no electrical or mechanical disconnects. You do need to pop all the plastic trim holders and remove screws holding the interior door panel to to the door but you only need a couple of inches of separation to place the felt on the rubber and use a plastic putty knife to press it on. It is also much easier to do the job with the windows open so you can work from both sides of the door. Plan ahead and do it before tint is applied.
How long ago was this? I too used the cheap felt that you used on my C32 AMG and it came off and left glue on my window tint.

I then found Tint Protector's felt that is made to stop tint scratches. It worked much better than the cheap crap felt I bought from an auto store.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:43 PM

2001 E320
Bought from an auto glass installer. It was the same stuff the window tint place used. It has been about a year.