E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Radio Head Unit Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 E430
Radio Head Unit Question

My grandfather bought his '02 e430 a couple of years ago, and when he had bought it, the previous owner had already installed a new head unit (if that's what it's called, not positive, pics are below)

The previous owner left the old system in the trunk, and my grandfather would like to install it to be able to use the steering wheel volume rockers.

(First picture is the old system that was in the trunk, the second is the top of the "new" JVC sound system)
http://imgur.com/a/abheP

So - my question is would it be possible? How difficult is it? Or should I just tell him to not worry about it and just keep the JVC system that he has in there now? Thanks.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like a super idea, however the question I would ask myself is-------what was altered, if anything, to accept the replacement head or can I just remove the new unit and plug in the old.

If it was I doing the investigation I would like to have the new and old wiring diagrams----do you have those??

My fall back option would be to take the car to an auto sound place and ask him for the cost of just the investigating process, if even possible!!

The other good news is that though out this process you are spending loads of weekends bonding with your grandfather. Well worth the time!!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
ditto what Plutoe said. you dont know because you have no details what was
needed in terms of modifications in order to install the JVC. still, i'm gambling
that they used a wiring harness adapter and if so, the adapter would simply be
removed and the older (that's the Audio30 in your pic) plugged right back in.

just be sure you have the radio security code somewhere, perhaps in with the
owners manual printed on a card. if not, you'll need to provide the radio serial
number and/or your car's VIN to the dealer for translation.