E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Looking For Local Guru

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Looking For Local Guru

I need to find a local MB Guru in South Florida who can install the Kenwood Excelon Music Keg (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2373). also want to install the KCA-R70FM Head Unit (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...productId=2472) where the ash tray is now, and connect the output to my aux input jack for the Comand System. Circuit City will do it, but I need to have someone fabricate a nice curved replacement for the current ash tray wood trim piece. I do not want to mess it up because I may want to replace the ash tray at some time in the future. Any takers?

Last edited by hpilot; 08-31-2003 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-31-2003, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Should be somewhat easy but take some time.....

You can take a piece of ABS plastic, heat it up and bend it to match the contour of the ashtray. Then use of a Dremel to make sure the sides are nicely shaved, etc....

Take 2 backstraps and bend them to the exact arc needed for the spot of the ash tray. The heat up the ABS with a heat gun and press it down onto the backstraps and instant contour. Make sure to use gloves because things can get hot!

Hope that helps...
Old 08-31-2003, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 420
I USED TO INSTALL FOR CIRCUIT CITY AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT IF YOU WANT WORK DONE ON YOUR MERCEDES CIRCUIT CITY IS NOT THE PLACE. LOOK FOR A CUSTOM SHOP WHO WORKS ON MB
YOU MAY PAY MORE BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT TRUST ME. MERCEDES ARE DIFFERENT ANIMALS AND YOU'RE AVARAGE CIRCUIT CITY INSTALLER JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE EXPERIENCE TO PROPERLY WORK ON ONE. I'M IN CALI AND I HAVE SOME PLACES HERE I CAN REFER YOU TO BUT I DON'T KNOW ANY IN FLORIDA.

Last edited by Maja216; 08-31-2003 at 11:19 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Originally posted by Maja216
I USED TO INSTALL FOR CIRCUIT CITY AND I CAN TELL YOU THAT IF YOU WANT WORK DONE ON YOUR MERCEDS CIRCUIT CITY IS NOT THE PLACE. LOOK FOR A CUSTOM SHOP WHO WORKS ON MB
YOU MAY PAY MORE BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT TRUST ME. MERCEDES ARE DIFFERENT ANIMALS AND YOU'RE AVARAGE CIRCUIT CITY INSTALLER JUST DOESN'T HAVE THE EXPERIENCE TO PROPERLY WORK ON ONE. I'M IN CALI AND I HAVE SOME PLACES HERE I CAN REFER YOU TO BUT I DON'T KNOW ANY IN FLORIDA.
I used to work at Circuit City and Best Buy as well. Maja is right, but sometimes you do find someone with skills and experience there....
Old 08-31-2003, 11:18 PM

E 420
you said it right Micha sometimes you do run into veterans at circuit city or best buy but on avarage most good installers just wont work for $8-$10 clams an hour. If you do decide to go to BB or CC do your homework some of these guys talk a good game but really don't have skills to back it. Hey Micha what CC did you work @?
Old 09-01-2003, 09:45 AM

2015 C300
Thanks for all the replies. I agree about Circuit City, but they are the only ones I found so far who would install it. I have not been able to find a custom shop yet. That's why I asked for recommendations. I called up some of the smaller car stereo places, and when I asked about the Music Keg they all said "music what?" I thought there must be someone in South Florida who does this.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by hpilot
Thanks for all the replies. I agree about Circuit City, but they are the only ones I found so far who would install it. I have not been able to find a custom shop yet. That's why I asked for recommendations. I called up some of the smaller car stereo places, and when I asked about the Music Keg they all said "music what?" I thought there must be someone in South Florida who does this.
One of those places confidently claimed that they can install aftermarket stereo equipment on my friends W203 Coupe. My friend took the plunge.

After 2, then 8 hours to install an aftermarket CD Changer, which quickly turned into 3 days, we found out that they messed up the sync on the electronics - which required the car to be towed to the dealer and a $345 bill (which they paid of course).
Old 09-01-2003, 10:12 PM

E 420
Hpilot try looking in some car audio mags a lot of times shops advertise, sometimes you may even see a car that a shop worked on and judge for yourself the quality of their work.
Old 09-02-2003, 09:11 AM

2015 C300
Originally posted by Maja216
Hpilot try looking in some car audio mags a lot of times shops advertise, sometimes you may even see a car that a shop worked on and judge for yourself the quality of their work.
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.