E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help Please!!! Choice Of Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Ya well, its just a 5 min job - took longer looking for a wheel that's with a front on view. They' kinda remind me of the new AMG SL ones with the multi-spokes, except less boring.

After all this, still very torn but now more content to keep the AMG's for while longer since the response has been its not all that bad....yeah I'm not ver confident, actually I'm too critical of my own car . Will explore shining them up for now and will sure let u guys know how I go........
Old 09-06-2003, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
yeah, chrome up those bad boys
Old 09-06-2003, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 E550 4matic,, sold 2012 E 350 4matic,,sold 2010 e350 4w,sold 2002 e320 se
I vote # 3

Those are similar to my AT Italia Rivas,,look real classy
Attached Thumbnails Help Please!!! Choice Of Wheels-benzmail.jpg  
Old 09-06-2003, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
an import
Whitey,

What happened to the HRE? I didn't get to see your last post before the forum server went down. The Carlsson 5 spoke is a real classic especially if you went with the 2/5. I think you've seen mine with the 1/5 from the other thread.

IMO I would not go the chrome look if you can find polished wheels instead. It offers the same 'double-take' look from people without the 'bling'.

What I have found to give the car a more meancing stance is to get a wheel that has a big lip. I'm running 18x8 and 18x9 ET35 on mine, and the lip on the back wheel aways gets a second look (and it not even that big)

If the 2/5 are too plain for you then the 2/6 are really nice as well or alternatively the OZ Opera II have a similar look. These were my original choices before I found the 1/5.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Re: I vote # 3

Originally posted by stemags
Those are similar to my AT Italia Rivas,,look real classy
Yep. I always wondered if they came from the same factory but according to the Tirerack site, the AT only come in 17" and I wouldn't settle for anything less than 18" - what's the price difference between the 2 (Carlsson 2/5 and AT Italia Rivas) btw?

Hey Fanatic, long time no see. I am now sure I can only dream of HRE's as no one imports them here....unless someone has an economical way of sending them to Asia......

I agree, I have been looking for a wide lipped wheel for the longest time and only found a very expensive BBS (Japanese special, apparently), a very off looking OZ (4" lip!) but also only comes in 17". I also considered RH Alurahs (had a post before the server went down and the response was that its a wheel worth having - these were once avail here but now no more That's why I was captured when I saw the 18" 2/6 or 3/6 with a very wide lip (posted a pic of it it in another thread for Jimmy - who was also looking for wide lips).

As for chrome vs polished, I'm getting very mixed messages here and on another thread - people either hate chrome or they love em. I'm indifferent but would like some shine on my wheels and IMO it really depends on the wheel whether chrome works or not.

BTW, what ya done with ur ride lately? Weren't you getting a Brabus kit or something? I didn't comment on the other thread since everyone else has spoken my mind - nice car, nice matching wheels with lots of potential.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:45 PM

an import
Re: Re: I vote # 3

Originally posted by Whitey
BTW, what ya done with ur ride lately? Weren't you getting a Brabus kit or something? I didn't comment on the other thread since everyone else has spoken my mind - nice car, nice matching wheels with lots of potential.
Thanks. Same goes for you.

Yeah, I was looking at the Brabus kit, and for those that didn't know, I had to get the car repainted due to someone dumping gravel on the freeway and then an SOB SUV driver deliberatlely went over the pile and sprayed gravel over the side and front of the car. Broke the windshield and really F-uped the hood, the grill and driver side. (the rest of the story will a different thread - keep an eye out for it ). Couldn't get a decision on the kit before the car got repainted so it's gone to the bottom of the list again.

The AT Riva's are nice as well. A friend purchased the one piece for his 540i (now gone) and looked good. But you are right, not offered in 18's and anything less just wouldn't be right.

I use to be a big fan of the monoblocks that you currently have (and certainly there is nothing wrong with them) but it's just becoming a bit dated IMO. Another good choice if you want to stay with AMG is the 5 spoke from the CL. JamE55 did this combo with his E55 before he got the HRE and I think it is a very clean look.

What manufactures are availble in HK that you are willing to consider? It doesn't sound like anything is really affordable (but what is over there ) that is going to look nice. Have you found a Carlsson distributor?

As for my next mods, the list currently has either Euro HID's or new swaybars (F & R) problablly off an E55 since Eibach doesn't make them anymore and H&R hasn't made any significant strides on their end either.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Very nice! In case its diff. in the US, the Asian/Euro E55's actually use the same wheels. IMO they look so much tighter than the twin spoke look of the first lot of AMG's but I understand they don't come with the ET31/35 setup. Does anyone know what the correct width + offset we need for the W210 if we were to get the new style AMG wheels? (JamE55?)

Its not a case of which brand I'd buy as I'm prepared to go with any manufacturer as long as I can find a unique look that'll go well with the E. I've already located all the mainstream tuners - Lorinser, Carlsson, AMG (used to be a subsidairy of my ex-company) and Brabus (my mechanic for the last 12 years). The choice is just so limited here. I'm willing to pay big bucks for HRE's, IForged or RH's if I could get them

BTW, since there's such a wide variation in opinions about :

1) keeping the AMG Mono's or not
2) Chrome vs polished; and
3) Difficulties in finding nice wide lipped wheels,

I've found these exotic pieces that may just strike a balance between all your suggestions (actually my buddy has some 17" on his A-class so I know what they look like). What do you guys think of these?
Attached Thumbnails Help Please!!! Choice Of Wheels-work-vs-amg.jpg  

Last edited by Whitey; 09-07-2003 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:51 PM

an import
Lorinsers. Nice.
Those actually look quite good. Very similar to the RSK-3 but in 2 piece. Two other choices that I like from Lorinser are the RSK-5 and the LM-5. The LM-5 are an awsome wheel which I don't see many people choosing.

Last edited by Fanatic; 09-07-2003 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2003, 03:34 PM

Go w/ body colored door handles.
Old 09-07-2003, 05:07 PM

an import
Whitey,

Is it me or does your friend's A Class have a bigger lip on the front tires than the back?
Old 09-07-2003, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Two strikes buddy:

1) They're not Lorinsers, they have thicker lips and they're Work wheels (Japanese);

2) Its not my friends A-class (a pic is on Viktorious's pic thread) but I would guess the pics's fronts and backs are the same, as opposed to the usual thinner front setup and the pics just given an illusion that its thicker in the front.

LM5's are what Alex has and yes, I dig them too but figure it won't go too well with my AMG kit.

Hank, yes color coded handles will come.