E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Leaky Transfer Case 99 E320.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Wagon
Leaky Transfer Case 99 E320.

Soooo - just picked up a 99 E320 Wagon for my soon-to-return to the States Sister and Brother in Law. Car has 104K miles - all in all - pretty good shape. BUT - I have what appears to be a leak/seepage from the transfer case. I'm not worried about the aesthetics of my driveway here - I'm more worried about handing over a car that is going to crap itself and die two weeks after they return.

So I got the following questions (and I am a complete MB novice): one - does the transfer case share ATF with the rest of the transmission, or are they independent systems? Two - how hard a job is it to refill the case, if it's independent? I ask that question because - in my Brother In Laws Words: this thing only really needs to last a couple years....after that, it's likely going to be my Niece's first car when she hits 16. So nursing it along is totally an option - if it isn't going to require a degree in mechanical engineering to do so.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
The concern to me would be the leak quantity. The transfer case uses the same transmission fluid, about .85l to be exact. Therefore you have to get a transmission fluid level tool to determine the existing transmission fluid level and by doing so learn how to do that.

If not, and depending on the leak quantity you will eventualy run out of transmission fluid.

Additionally remember MB transmissions are very sensitive to fluid level so you will start to hear howling when you are really low----so if he/she or it could give a RA just listen to the howel---get the tool out----define fluid level--- fill required amount via the transmission fill tube and get on with life!!

The only degree of difficulty is learning how(measurement--under what conditions) to use the MB tool!! Do some reading on fluid types and fill suggestions.

PS: I am sure you Niece will just enjoy the exercise!! They really like to work on cars!!
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 Wagon
So if I read you correctly - the transfer case and A/T are on the same lubrication system - and if you check fluid levels using the tool, then you know when to top it up/it will take care of the transfer case as well?

I actually was out with a buddy of mine on Saturday - and he has the official tool: fluid levels were fine, and I will probably pick up an official tool and show my brother in law how to use it. That way - figure he can nurse it along until the work can be done in a year. Does that sound sane?

Yeah - *highly* doubt my niece will ever work on a car - but who knows - maybe I will be surprised!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:25 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
"Does that sound sane?"----The only thing I would add is make sure your Niece is up and apart of the lunch and learn!!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
the transfer case does not share tranny fluid.

It is a separate entity and as such, you only have a little more than half a liter of fluid to leak out. In my experience, the transfer cases weep a bit. If you get a bit of wetness, no big deal. If you have any dripping, it could get dangerous.

Depending on the model you have, it could be pretty easy or a bit of a pain to refill.

Only real way to judge level is to fill it till the fluid runs out.