E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

96 E300D surging after filter replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 E300D surging after filter replacement

I've got a 96 E300D with 258k on it. In the course of normal maintenance, I ran a pint of Diesel purge through the system, then replaced the pre and main filters. After restarting, I ran it for 20 minutes and then shut it down.
This morning, on the way to work, at 55-60mph, the engine starting cutting out/surging. I could counter this by hard acceleration or letting my foot of the pedal completely. It did this at just after coming off cold and the rest of the way (16 miles) to work. The vehicle idles perfectly and has no leaks. What should I look for? I did notice that when it was cutting out, I got a bit of white smoke out the tail pipe.
Previously to this, the vehicle ran fine on the highway.
Thanks
jeff
Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
I would start by researching the fuel delivery system(pump,fuel lines, injectors and electronic controls) for your specific engine and go from there----with diesels it's simple-- fuel or air. In your case its fuel or the lack there of!!

PS: Do you have any diesel testing equipment???
Old 10-30-2013, 06:33 PM

96 surging

Originally Posted by Plutoe
I would start by researching the fuel delivery system(pump,fuel lines, injectors and electronic controls) for your specific engine and go from there----with diesels it's simple-- fuel or air. In your case its fuel or the lack there of!!

PS: Do you have any diesel testing equipment???
Sorry I took so long to get back. I checked all I could(30 years working on cars and no diesel test equipment except for an injector pop tester).
I decided to try the mod I've seen on the forums about EGR.
It has now been 3 days of 34 miles per and I have yet to experience the surge again. I guess it is possible the EGR is failing. The mod I used is easily reversible so I can go back. Now to find a used EGR valve.
jeff
Old 11-03-2013, 07:38 PM

E320 4matic
Originally Posted by jfulford
Sorry I took so long to get back. I checked all I could(30 years working on cars and no diesel test equipment except for an injector pop tester).
It has now been 3 days of 34 miles per and I have yet to experience the surge again. I guess it is possible the EGR is failing. The mod I used is easily reversible so I can go back. Now to find a used EGR valve.
jeff
I have just taken them off and cleaned them and installed if needed new o rings or gaskets
Old 12-20-2013, 12:31 PM

UPDATE: 96 E300D Surge

Originally Posted by jfulford
jeff

It has been a while and I have been collecting data which, long story short, comes down to this:

--Plugging in block heater 2-4 hours ahead of my drive: NO Surge/smoke.

--Not plugging in, outside temp anywhere between 10-60F: Surges 4 out of 5 times.

Still NO clue on what kicks on or off around 60C.

Still waiting on descent weather weekend to take off crossover tube and check/clean resonance valve.

jf