E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Check Engine & Preglow Indicator Lamps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'71 280SE
Question Check Engine & Preglow Indicator Lamps

While driving this morning my preglow indicator lamp came back on.
I pulled over and shut down, and went through the start sequence again. The glow plug goes off prior to starting (normal), but then comes back on shortly after the engine starts. Now it's been joined by the CHECK ENGINE light.
The owner's manual doesn't offer much info, just says to get the car in to the dealer.
Any ideas on what I may be facing? How serious?
Thanks,
Ed

BTW, the fuel filler cap is on good and tight.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Sounds like a glow plug(s) may be at fault. This is what I did to test if th eglow plugs are all working. Very primitive but works.

Unplug the harness that plugs into the glow relay, located on the driverside wheel well.

Take something like a 16 guage wire. Tap on side onto the positive battery post that is right there, and touch the other end of the wire, stripped back just a bit and touch each post of the plug that was plugged into the relay, If you see a little spark when you touch it, means the glow plug is still working. Otherwise that plug is done.

Try that and report back.....
Old 11-16-2003, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Sounds like a glow plug(s) may be at fault. This is what I did to test if the glow plugs are all working. Very primitive but works.

Unplug the harness that plugs into the glow relay, located on the driverside wheel well.

Take something like a 16 guage wire. Tap on side onto the positive battery post that is right there, and touch the other end of the wire, stripped back just a bit and touch each post of the plug that was plugged into the relay, If you see a little spark when you touch it, means the glow plug is still working. Otherwise that plug is done.

Try that and report back.....