E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

adding a sub-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420, 1983 300D
adding a sub-

I'm thinking of putting in an amplified subwoofer, or an amp with a subwoofer.

What would be wrong with tapping in to the rear speaker wires in the trunk and using a converter to RCA right there (in the trunk). All the installers say they make that conversion behind the head unit - but why? Why use a 17' RCA cable when you could use 1' and have all the connections in the trunk? I'm sure i'm overlooking something - but i'd like to do this myself and keep it cheap.

on the same note - does anyone recommend the bazooka tubes?

thanks,

v
Old 11-18-2003, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Because that signal is already amplified and too strong for line-level converters to process. I've tried it before and it didn't work

The output off behind the radio is usually only a few volts. Etc, etc, etc...
Old 11-18-2003, 12:57 PM

1997 E420, 1983 300D
so on the back of the stock head unit (version with the tape player's door visible) there is an output plug for a sub? I haven't taken mine out. Does anyone have a picture or schematic of the backside of the head unit?
Old 11-18-2003, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by galleryvw
so on the back of the stock head unit (version with the tape player's door visible) there is an output plug for a sub? I haven't taken mine out. Does anyone have a picture or schematic of the backside of the head unit?
the stock unit has no such thing on the stock radio....
Old 11-18-2003, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Originally posted by michakaveli
the stock unit has no such thing on the stock radio....
Are there actual speaker wires coming out from behind the head unit or is it one cable or something that goes into the amp and then speaker wires come out of there? Thanks Mich...
Old 11-18-2003, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
Originally posted by jimmydagreek
Are there actual speaker wires coming out from behind the head unit or is it one cable or something that goes into the amp and then speaker wires come out of there? Thanks Mich...
The wires coming out of the radio are just like any radio having separate +&- FR FL RR RL speakers leads, speed sensing wire, power ground, etc....

The speakers leads go to the amp in the rear left corner of the car, behind the trunk lid spring....

If ya'll need any more details, no hesitation to ask.....

Do a search, I might have posted more details about the radio and installation a while back.....
Old 11-18-2003, 02:24 PM

1997 E420, 1983 300D
interesting.. so the amp is in the trunk, and I would intercept the speaker wires before the go into the amp for my speaker wire to RCA conversion? Or maybe the amp has an output for a sub. I didn't realize there was an additional amp beyond the head unit in the car. Guess i have a bit of learnin' to do about my car.

I guess the bottom line is, can you install an amp without popping the head unit. And, actually, could the stock amplifier drive an aftermarket sub added to the mix?

thanks for all the help - this is pretty new to me

v
Old 11-18-2003, 03:07 PM

1997 E420, 1983 300D
i found this on a search for the amplifier, and any wiring diagrams. is this what the stock amp looks like?

http://store.yahoo.com/walters-store/merbenbosam1.html

the connection looks like i runs a computer or something!
Old 11-18-2003, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E300
interesting.. so the amp is in the trunk, and I would intercept the speaker wires before the go into the amp for my speaker wire to RCA conversion? Or maybe the amp has an output for a sub. I didn't realize there was an additional amp beyond the head unit in the car. Guess i have a bit of learnin' to do about my car.

I guess the bottom line is, can you install an amp without popping the head unit. And, actually, could the stock amplifier drive an aftermarket sub added to the mix?

thanks for all the help - this is pretty new to me

v
You could grab the wires going into the amp for the RCA conversion, at the trunk. It's easier to just convert it at the radio though. Getting to the amp and it's wiring is a pain. In addition the stock subs don't have an independent control. They are tied into the rear speakers or something in the rear for their signal. An aftermarket radio with sub controls will yield much better sound from th remaining interior speakers and independent sub control for the separate subwoofer amp. I would recommend a Pioneer or Alpine unit at the least. Depending on how far you want to mod the audio system. The E-class is a rather easy vehicle to work on the audio system. The battery is under the seat so power distribution to the new amp(s) is taken care of. And both sides behind the rear seat are small square openings blocked by foam which can be used to run all audio cables through safely....

I found that by just replacing the head unit with a good quality one made the Bose system, truely sound like a Bose.....
Old 11-18-2003, 04:18 PM

1999 Mercedes E300 TurboDiesel
lol, even though the speakers are not in fact made by bose, mercedes just paid to license the name...
Old 11-23-2003, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Re: adding a sub-

What would be wrong with tapping in to the rear speaker wires in the trunk and using a converter to RCA right there (in the trunk). All the installers say they make that conversion behind the head unit - but why? Why use a 17' RCA cable when you could use 1' and have all the connections in the trunk? I'm sure i'm overlooking something - but i'd like to do this myself and keep it cheap.

thanks,

v
About the bazooka tubes....... those are designed to work best in cars that are hatchbacks. With trunks, most of the "fake" bass they produce will be muffled by the back seats, and steel plate of the trunk.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Re: adding a sub-

thanks,

v
About the bazooka tubes....... those are designed to work best in cars that are hatchbacks. With trunks, most of the "fake" bass they produce will be muffled by the back seats, and steel plate of the trunk.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:39 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 G63 ; 981 boxster GTS
is this true?

Originally posted by Lightman
lol, even though the speakers are not in fact made by bose, mercedes just paid to license the name...
i do see the 'wink' attached to your post, but i have to ask, is this true?? the 'bose' product in our w210s is actually not? is this why it sounds like such crap? my wife's acura bose is so much better, even my former w202 was superior.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:51 PM

1997 E420, 1983 300D
i think my system sounds pretty good, but would be much better with an active tweeter at ear level. i can't beleive those grills by the side mirror and dash are conceiling nothing (until I put my ear up to them and heard nothing coming out.) i'd also like some deeper bass - thus the start of this post. sounds like bazooka tubes aren't getting rave reviews around here. I'd just like an inexpensive solution to adding bass - seeing how i've got an appointment on monday to replace the lower control arm bushings and the ball joints. and now i have a mysterious power steering leak to deal with.

this car is getting exbenzive