E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Mercedes Phone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2001 grandpa gold
Mercedes Phone

So my question is this, i have a 01 e320 and it had outlets for the cellphone/phone but the PO took it out i presume.. whats been on my mind is, when the phone was connected and you would make a call, would the call be answered and heard all around the car through the speakers or was it only on the phone itself? Was there a speaker option that would translate the call to the car speakers? How did the system itself work? This would probably be answer by original owners..
Old 04-10-2014, 05:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
The issue with your question is that you nor we know whether the phone was factory or aftermarket or dealer retrofit!!

A possible answer is within the owners manual, but never the less why are you asking---please don't tell us you are trying to upgrade the phone to current specs.

If that is the case there are hundreds of posts on that subject---simply spend your time, repeat your time using the search button!!
Old 04-11-2014, 07:40 AM

'99 E430, '05 ML500, '15 GLK350
Yes, the original phone was integrated with the radio. However, it was effectively obsolete from day 1. Best option now is just a bluetooth link device.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM

E320 2001 grandpa gold
no i dont care for the phone, what i was thinking.. is:
if the phone was through speaker then i would live to find the wires that go to the speaker and just make it a aux cable. i dont care much for phone connectivity to the car, if i wanted that i wouldve done a simple bluetooth head unit swap... the problem is that i love the stock system. If i upgrade my head unit the volume wont be synced with my speed anymore. Second i dont like wires sticking out i like everything being stealthy i wanted to run a old ipod shuffle to the aux and run a small power supply to it also and just leave the ipod in the arm rest. but i cant find any info if there are speaker leads from the wire.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2 2001 E320s, 2005 E320 4Matic
There have been several threads on various forums over the years asking the same question as you with no resolution. The phone connection to the amp should be over the D2B fiber network. Phone cradle to the PSE, fiber connection from the PSE to the amp. The phone does not connect directly to the speakers. If your car came equipped with a phone, and the cradle is no longer there, I would assume the PO removed the PSE as well. The 00-02 models came pre-wired for phone to make it easier and cost effective for the dealer to add a phone, but without the PSE the connection in your console is a dead end. Then there are the inherent design limitations. This connection is designed specifically for use with a phone. If you could splice in an iPod would the system recognize the device, or would you get the No Phone error message. When this system is retrofitted with a Bluetooth module, it can't stream music, only phone calls. I know this does not answer your question, but may explain why there are no solid resolutions. Most end up going the aux route using the cassette player, or by directly soldering an aux cable to the head unit. Both of these solutions are well documented. There are also "gateway" options that use the fiber connection from the cd changer, but these are not inexpensive solutions, and require running cable from the trunk to the console. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by RichM; 04-14-2014 at 05:54 PM.