E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Questions from 300TD newbie

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2003, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Questions from 300TD newbie

First off - hello to all fellow MB owners. I have finally taken the plunge and purchased my first Benz - a 1999 E300 TD! While I am awaiting arrival of the owners manual, I have some newbie questions for the group. So far, I love the car. It is solid, has about 76k miles on it and runs beautifully so far (I have driven it about 200 miles).
1) How frequently should I change the oil? Besides the differences in oil used, are there any special concerns with oil changes for a diesel engine? How much oil? Does anybody use synthetic oil and would that be recommended over standard petroleum oil?
2) I live in NE and have already purchased Red Line winterized diesel fuel additive. I plan on adding 1 bottle (12 oz) about every 500 miles or so. Does this sound like a good plan?
3) I have to decide whether I want to cough up about $2500 more for a four-year limited warranty. Would this be a good idea?
4) Are there any particular pitfalls, things to look for, with regard to maintenance on this vehicle? I read in one forum about a guy having a major problem with glow plugs that had become carbonized to the point where they could not be removed. Should I have this dbl-checked the next time the vehicle is in for an oil change?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
- bootie
Old 12-12-2003, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Re: Questions from 300TD newbie

Originally posted by BootieNH

1) How frequently should I change the oil? Besides the differences in oil used, are there any special concerns with oil changes for a diesel engine? How much oil? Does anybody use synthetic oil and would that be recommended over standard petroleum oil?
2) I live in NE and have already purchased Red Line winterized diesel fuel additive. I plan on adding 1 bottle (12 oz) about every 500 miles or so. Does this sound like a good plan?
3) I have to decide whether I want to cough up about $2500 more for a four-year limited warranty. Would this be a good idea?
4) Are there any particular pitfalls, things to look for, with regard to maintenance on this vehicle? I read in one forum about a guy having a major problem with glow plugs that had become carbonized to the point where they could not be removed. Should I have this dbl-checked the next time the vehicle is in for an oil change?
Thanks in advance for any feedback!
- bootie
I would recommend the Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic diesel oil, 5w40 for all-season use. It only comes in one weight. It is some of the finest diesel oil there is... Ad no, I don't work for Mobil. I perform an oil analysis everytime I change the oil, that way I can guage my oil change interval. I would recommend www.AVLube.com for all your oil, oil analysis and additive needs. Everything I just mentioned can be purchased on their site.

I would recommend the Stanadyne One Shot lubricity additive with every full tank. I use the Stanadyne Winter additive formula. When I run out I will switch to Primrose additive. The Primrose is better because it helps to break down water and make it easily passable through the injection system without any damage.

As far as the extended warranty. I myself would pass on it. I am a DIY'er type though. And if there is an expensive glow plug install or whatnot, you'll have that money for it, instead of hassling with the stealership to get things done.
Old 12-13-2003, 03:31 AM

E320 CDI
welcome to the board.
Speedlimits? 98 E300TD
Old 12-13-2003, 09:38 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
I would say it depends exactly how comprehensive the warranty is. The price seems a tad high, but it depends on how many miles the warranty will last for, and how much of a hassle it is to get a claim approved (or reimbursed if it's that type). I would say if warranty included coverage (some of which I paraphrase from the Starmark warranty) of (at least nearly all of ) the following items, you might seriously want to consider it:

- All electrical motors and their control switches (including Window regulator assemblies)
- All parts of the Climate Control System, including servos, dampers, sensors, all parts of the sealed system, compressor AND refrigerant
- All electronic modules, such as convenience module, door control modules, PSE, SRS, etc.
- All engine control and chassis control sensors, actuators and equipment related to ACS, BAS, ABS, IFI, (ESP), Powertrain controller, etc.

Most warranties specifically exclude items such as lightbulbs, battery, and vehicle entertainment (radio, CD player, etc.).

You should also read the terms of the powertrain parts which are covered, including statements like "headgasket only if coolant or oil leakage is detected"
Old 12-19-2003, 04:00 AM

E320 CDI
under my starmark i have had the waterpump, and rack and pinnon system replaced.