E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Rear Parktronics Fallacy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500 SPORT
Thumbs down Rear Parktronics Fallacy

Well Guys my wife found out a hard lesson yesterday. She backed up hard into a Metal Mailbox. The damage may not look like much but it will cost at least a grand. She took out the trunk mounted taillight as well as dented the trunk above and below it.

She said in backing up she never heard or saw the rear parktronic lights or beeps go off and she of course had the rear sun screen in the up position that obscured her rear vision of upcoming doom.

I explained to her while gritting all my teeth for her lack of wisdom that the rear units are designed to catch oblstacles in their immediate patch and not items that are above its field of coverage.

I put this out to the forum members as a subtle warning that the fault of the sensors is less than the fault of the driver and their common sense.

My wife now will wear her own induced DUMB **** sign for quite a few months. Make sure we and the rest of our spouse's and kids dare not repeat the process.

Derek.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Ouch! If it was close enough to hit the boot, it should be within the range of the sensors.... Not trying to discredit your missus but technology is sometimes an easy excuse for one's mistakes. Its not hard to forget about the beeps if you get too used to them or not hear them with the audio up high. I also sometimes forget to turn them back on when I switch the system off after pedastrians get too close at head of the lights.......lucky my sixth sense tells me that its all too quiet when I need to reverse.

My advice - never fully depend on technology or forget the things they taught us at driving school.......the old techniques are sometimes more effective than the gadgets
Old 01-18-2004, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 R350. '05 C230. '93 454SS Truck. '71 Chevelle SS.
Ouch. That sucks. I've always wondered about parktronic and if it really works or just becomes a nuisance. Anyway, I suppose it's all in the way you use it. I agree Whitey, when in doubt, use those driver's ed lessons and put them to use...
Old 01-18-2004, 04:21 PM

2003 E500 SPORT
Lightbulb

I went back to the scene of the crime/damage.

The mailbox extends out from the pole and is a trunk height where our center mounted tailight section is......therefore the sensors did not pick it up as the pole is inset about 12 inches or more...............Frau learned a lesson.............LOOK............

Derek.
Old 01-18-2004, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Precisely! Hope its covered and fixed........