E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Radio removal issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 1997
Radio removal issues

Hi everyone,

I wanted to replace my radio today... something that should be relatively simple!!! I tried removing the radio using the official Mercedes keys. The bottom right key works great but I have no success with the bottom left. I ended up removing the a/c panel, ash tray and the tray just above it trying to get access to the stupid spring and get the radio out but there is no way I can find the spring in there. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2015, 01:54 PM

2001 E430
Removal

Mercedes radio's are one of the fine examples of how mercedes over complicates things. Don't unplug it either unless you have a radio unlock code handy.

I had this same issue, but both tabs were bent/jacked up from the previous owner/tech(evidence of their frustration). The stupid little keys did absolutely nothing. I ended up taking the two lower compartments out and cutting through the plastic radio tray to gain access to the sides where I could pry it out. Not fun. Much cursing and swearing. Patience is key. You'll get it :-)

I went through all this for the removal of one of those tacky old school Nokia phone docks. Not easy to get at either.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
if you have time, you can try hopping over to the STICKYs at benzworld and
looking at the photos on how to cobble your own radio removal key and see
if you can modify the key.

it's a bit difficult to explain how by keyboard but sometimes freeing the internal
radio latch requires a little jiggling an finessing like picking a lock. yes, that latch
can be a little stubborn sometimes.

you can also try fingernail file with the hooked end (attached to large fingernail
clipper) and wiggle the hook around in hope of jogging the resistant latch free
Old 06-03-2015, 10:46 AM

E320 1997
Hi guys,

Thanks for your suggestions. Here is how I ended up removing it:

1) Remove all the buttons: put the screwdriver at the bottom of each button and softly push it upwords
2) After removing the buttons you have to remove the faceplate of the radio. The way I did it is by inserting the screwdriver in the bottom left part of the radio/faceplate and pull it out. It requires some force before it deattaches.
3) Now you can see the spring that holds the radio in. Just push it and pull the radio out.

In my case the spring was not in the right place. I guess the previous owner of the car must have messed it up.

4) Put the faceplate and buttons back on the radio.

As long as you do it correctly the radio will be functioning again.

I hope this helps.

Antonis