E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E320 pulls to one side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2004 | 05:44 PM

E320 pulls to one side

Thing is, I haven't bought it yet!

I put a deposit down on a beautiful 7-year old E320 with a stipulation to get certain things done. Went to collect it today and they have all been done except the pull, so have not taken it yet.

It definitely seems over-sensitive to the camber of the road. Even on a truly flat road, or driving right on the crown of the road, it goes more-or-less straight, but is easier to turn one way than the other. It might be my imagination, but it also felt a bit twitchy at the back over some bumps, though when I went looking for this on a bumpy road couldn't find it.

They had done a 4-wheel alignment but until I had started reading up on camber and castor angles this evening, I didn't really know how to read the report.

My gut feel is that even if the 2nd attempt to straighten it out is not fully successful, I should take the car and get a main dealer to look at it, maybe with a retention by me on the total price.

Anyway, to help me read the reports next time before deciding:

Does anyone know which alignments this vehicle has :

Front camber - I assume Y
Front castor - Y/N?
Rear camber - Y/N?
Rear castor - Y/N?
Any other relevant ones (rear toe?)

TIA
Old 02-03-2004 | 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What kind of tires are on the car?Whats the condition?
Old 02-03-2004 | 06:46 PM

Hope the car has not been in an accident that damaged the frame or bent a suspension pc badly. Did you have it inspected?

Some cars have a little of pull tendency, don't know if that's normal but that's common.
Old 02-07-2004 | 01:59 PM

Think I know what it is

Thx for posts.

Was well inspected - all in v good condition.

Now I have been driving it a while, there's a slitch twitch from the back end, but only on hitting a pot-hole - & just the near side. I think one of the rear trailing arm bushings must be on its way out (due to the lovely raod conditiosn in the UK!), so this could probably affect alignment too. I'll get the bushing sorted (all under guarantee), then come back to the pull if it's still there. In fact after driving it a bit more, the pull is hardly noticeable
Old 02-09-2004 | 01:12 PM
jnx

Check air pressure in all 4 tires, If unequal it will do this. Good Luck