E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2005 E500 4matic wagon Codes 5220 5230 Damping Valve

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 e500
2005 E500 4matic wagon Codes 5220 5230 Damping Valve

My car works perfect but I get the visit workshop msg and the arrow with the car on the dash....I scanned and have codes 5220 and 5230

They say: "Right Front Damping Valve unit Solenoid Valve 1 open Circut"
and
"Right Front Damping Valve unit Solenoid Valve 2 open Circut"

I took the wheel off and fender liner and the wires all look fine checked for juice with a test light on the plug going to the shock and had juice on one of the 3 pins with the key on....checked the driver side it was the same.

I hate having a DTC code and have not found any help on what to do, perhaps I am looking in the wrong places.....If anyone knows what I should do please let me know.....Thanks !

Car raises lowers sport modes work find does not leak or bleed off over time the entire car seems to be working perfect but I have this code.

Old 10-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,045 Likes on 968 Posts
1999 E300TD
What is the VIN??
Old 10-07-2015, 01:10 PM

2005 e500
WDBUH83J65X181762 Thanks!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Y

Last edited by Plutoe; 10-07-2015 at 06:01 PM. Reason: I am sorry, I screwed up. The response was for another post
Old 10-07-2015, 04:50 PM

2005 e500
I am sorry I dont understand what that information is for, my tranny works perfect.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 985 Likes on 766 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Danimal, based on your PM, here's my response:

Your car is a W211 but you posted in the W210 section. You should request one of the mods to move this to the proper section of the forum where you might get more responses.

My suggestions, use at your own risk.

Error codes indicate the two ground lines are shorted to each other, shorted to chassis, or one is broken inside the insulation or at the contact (where the wire is crimped/soldered into the pin/socket of the connector), or a bad contact. Problem could be internal to the shock but that is more difficult to determine.

Solenoids are controlled by module N51 located under the passenger side floorboard.

Solenoid y2 is used to raise/lower the car. Solenoid y1 controls whether or not the two inner air chambers are connected (soft ride) or isolated from each other (firmer ride). You stated your car raises/and lowers so this suggests the issue is with the y1 solenoid.

Your comment (in PM), “And I had code 5227 "right front axle damping valve unit solenoid valve 1: loose contact” further suggests the failure mode is associated with the y1 solenoid. This indicates one should check the connector pins/sockets and the ground wire associated with that solenoid. I do not have a schematic here so I cannot provide the color code of the wire in question. You know which one is the power, so that leaves two wires to verify. “loose contact” could mean a wire where most (or all) of the strands are broken or the pin and socket are loose or contaminated. The loose contact could be at the shock or at the control module.

Most electrical issues are mechanical so try the following to narrow down where to look for the damage:
-Check the pins and sockets in the connectors to ensure they are fully seated, are not loose, and not contaminated with dirt or corrosion.
-Check for physical damage where the wire is crimped into the socket/pin at the connector. If the wire was not securely fastened, vibration could cause fatigue failure of the wire strands and an intermittent connection.
-Disconnect harness from shock. Without power, see if you have continuity between the two ground wires. There should be no continuity. (See Note below.)
-Without power, check each ground wire individually for continuity between the ground wire and chassis. There should be no continuity. (See Note below.)
-(Note: if you get continuity, it may be internal to the module N51. Consider, at this time, going under the passenger floorboard and pulling the connector from module N51 and re-running the above tests.) Be advised I do not know if pulling he connector on the module will result in an error code when you plug it back in.
-If you get continuity, inspect the connector and wire for physical damage or anything that could short the two wires to each other or to chassis (e.g. contaminated/damaged connector, wayward strand of wire, bad insulation).
-At the shock connector, I have no sure way to verify internal connections. The two solenoids are going to share a common connection (+12) so you could check for resistance between the +12 and each of the ground pins. You should see resistance but I do not have the values. You can measure the values on the other shock and compare to the failed circuit.
-Start with the above and eliminate the easy stuff.

If anyone else has info or suggestions about the above, please feel free to chime in.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Originally Posted by Danimal76
I am sorry I don't understand what that information is for, my tyranny works perfect.
First, I apologies, I confused your post with another post----and as you can see I edited my first response---in any event

With the Airmatic you have various comfort settings and the R and L struts have damping valves and solenoids which are controlled by the Airmatic control module---what the faults are saying is that because the solenoids are faulty in the R front strut not all of the comfort settings are available---all this very detailed explanation can be read in WIS doc GF3231P430002B.

In essence you are being told that one or more of your comfort settings will not be available because of faulty solenoids!!

If you like the current ride don't do anything until others fail!!Failure means a strut replacement!!