E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Running light comes back with “LAMP DEFECTIVE” but is working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 03:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Running light comes back with “LAMP DEFECTIVE” but is working

Our E320 from 1998 have an issue with the front lights.

My wife's cars headlights have been working fine for a long time but suddenly they started to come with the fault message “LAMP DEFECTIVE” as soon as you turn the light switch from position light to running light. The fault comes instantly. There is nothing to see from the outside – all lamps are working. – running light and long beam.

I have tried to switch both headlights from my E320 to hers but the fault still comes on as soon as I turn the light switch from position light to running light.

My DAS/Xentry does not offer any clues – I run a quick test but come back with no fault for anything with a light. I even started the car hooked up and put the light on and the fault came in dashboard but nothing on my DAS

Any ideas are welcome.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
the LAMP DEFECTIVE monitoring system does not tell you conclusively which bulb is out,
at least not on the north american vehicles. it's possible that you've presumed it is
telling you that the failure is with the running light based on reasoning and may be
focusing on the wrong bulbs. It may be the corner bulbs in the front fenders....as well
as the running lights in the rear. Best to verify the operation of all bulbs.

this is the inventory of the bulbs monitored by the No American w210s, but I've not
verified this with Canadian models which feature DRL

(2) low beam bulbs
(2) high beam bulbs
(2) city light bulbs (below high bulbs)
(2) fog light bulbs
(2) corner bulbs (on side of front fenders)
(2) brake bulbs (dual filament. activate brake and verify both sides)
(2) rear running/tail lights (shares dual filament as above)
(2) reverse lights
(2) rear license bulbs (be sure you verify both. many miss one)

If you've verified each of these bulbs to be intact, you may have a bad ground,
using a non-spec bulb, using LED bulb...

Light, bulb malfunction warning
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ake-light.html

Electrical Problems: "Faulty bulb"
https://mbworld.org/forums/4081667-post3.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...ky-format.html

Last edited by raymond g-; 10-11-2015 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
Originally Posted by raymond g-
the LAMP DEFECTIVE monitoring system does not tell you conclusively which bulb is out,
at least not on the north american vehicles. it's possible that you've presumed it is
telling you that the failure is with the running light based on reasoning and may be
focusing on the wrong bulbs.
The reasoning is that when I turn the light switch to first position no fault is coming - all light is on and looking OK - as soon as I take the switch to second position the fault is coming .... so I reasoning it is the headlamps ... but I took my headlamps from my car; which is working fine - and fault is still coming .... but if you are correct and the cars electronic is playing tricks with me - then my reasoning could be wrong - which give more sens ......

Having two E320 of the W210 models, then I have been down this road with light and brake issues before ..... and from that I learned that; let say it is the brake-light, that the fault will not show itself before you activate the brakes ..... but since all lights are working I am wondering if a bulb with a bad connection - but light in it - could give this fault?

I will check it in two weeks time when I get back from work - thanks Raymond for the input - by the way - the second link ends blind .... maybe it's me ...
Old 10-11-2015, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 170 Likes on 154 Posts
99 E320
sorry, i typed 'brake light' but it may simply be the dual filament bulb back there so be sure
to double check and test the continuity of both filaments when you get a chance.

the bulb malfunction system is generally pretty reliable. the key tasks you can do is to
1) be sure that all of the exterior bulbs are functioning. there aren't that many and will
only take about 5 mins. 2) the BIG weaknesses in the lighting system include the small
city light bulb/harness leading in to the 6 watt bulb above the high beam bulb. also, the
fog light harness is substandard and may also burn out and melt. last, the taillight design
is poor and the contacts between the butterfly 'wings' in the bulb holder and the taillight
panel may (over time) have increase resistance, thus triggering the malfunction light.