E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

White smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White smoke

My W124 E420 is emitting white smoke from the exhaust. Its most likely water since my hands get wet when I put my hands near the muffler tips.

Most of the time there is little or no smoke, but lately it does produce some major smoke once in awhile. Ive noticed the smoke when idling, cant really tell if it also happens at partial or full throttle since I gotta keep my eyes on the road.

Have yet to check for coolant loss since Ive just replaced water pump and topped of the expansion tank.

Head gasket? Valve seals? Car has 56,000 miles.

How do I check? Take a look at the plugs? If the car is burning oil, I know the plugs will be oily, what about if its water its burning?
What signs should I look for?

I dont know if these are in anyway related to the above problem, but I have noticed the following problems:

1.) ticking noise in the engine, valves? lifters? (had this for quite some time already)

2.) exhaust gas smells bad, smells like engine is running rich. Punget smell thats kinda irritating on the nose and eyes. (started to notice this a few weeks ago)

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:01 AM

2013 E350
Rule of Thumb

White smoke = water
Blue smoke = oil
Black smoke = fuel

It is not unusual for a car to emit small amounts of white smoke at idle especially when it is cold (both car and outside temperature). If the amount of white smoke is visible when you are driving or you create a cloud of white smoke when driving, then you have a head gasket problem or something else that is getting water into the combustion chamber.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:48 AM
Almost a Member!

1997 E420 Sport
if you do have a coolant infiltration problem, there is a high liklihood that your coolant will also be cross contaminated with oil. I would check that first as its a pretty easy confirmation test to inspect the quality of the coolant.

I would also go and have the error codes read on your car. Even if you're not getting a check engine/electronics light yet, you never know what might show up. The exhaust smell you mention and the fact that it's pretty recent might point towards an emissions electronics issue here as well.