E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E320 difficulty starting and cutting out when hot.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320 V6
E320 difficulty starting and cutting out when hot.

Hi all, I purchased a 1997 E320 V6 bit more than a year ago. The vehicles is a high mileage vehicle with 330000km on the odo (mostly long distance usage) but it had a full service history at the agents and was in a immaculate condition. The only downside is that where I am living there are no Mercedes agents or access to diagnostic equipment and I really do not want to travel the long distance to the nearest agent.

The car slowly developed a habit of difficulty starting when hot. It got progressively worse. At this stage the engine will swing but will only fire after 4-5 tries. For the past few weeks we have been experiencing a hot spell with the maximum temperatures reaching up to 45 degrees Celsius and the car developed another problem. After driving at a low speed (60km and less) with short periods of idling in between the car will start to develop a rough idle and will eventually cut out. The car then have to sit a few minutes before trying to start it again and the it takes 5 tries minimum to get it to start. During these hot weather spells the car would sometimes also be hesitant to accelerate and when trying to overtake it would sometimes be stuck at 120KM/h not wanting to accelerate any further or do so very slowly, it would then be jerking like it is struggling to get fuel.

The starting problems only show up when the engine is at operating temperature and the others when environmental temperatures are high. I have read about the problem a bit and it seems as if it could either be the MAF or the fuel pump. I have also read that the CPS and the FPR could be responsible for some of the problems.

Do any of these symptoms sound familiar and could they be related? I would like to have it fixed but really do not want to start throwing parts at it. I could possibly take the time sometime to visit a dealer but am afraid to drive distances with it in this state.

Regards
Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 Wagon
Are you throwing any code? Sounds like you are on the right track with the MAF.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
I'm betting on the CPS

This is a classic sign of a temperature sensitive CPS. That's the good news since they are the cheapest fix of all the things you mentioned and are easily fixed by a home mechanic.....around $85 and 15 minutes time.