E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Seems like power lose....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E320
Seems like power lose....

I'm having a strange issue where my 98 e320 after idling an 1-2 hrs (cut that time in half every time if I have the interior or exterior lights on or I'm blasting my aftermarket stereo sound system) it begins to shake, idling roughly. Most cases I can turn the car off then back on and it's fine. With the case of the stereo and lights, it will idle rough then pretty quickly the engine will shut. After that it will start up but then almost immediately die or it will start up but will be idling a little rougher than before. The only way to get it out of what seems to be a 'mode' to me, is to drive it about a block, shut off the car and restart it, then everything is fine again. Both the alternator and battery are fine according to testing, and none of this happens while driving the vehicle with all lights on and system up to the max. Any possible clue to what may be causing this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-16-2016, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
For idling 2 hr you should get generator.
No vehicle engine is design to idle for long time and bigger engines have computer programs that will either switch to high idle or shut down after about 10 minutes.
Idling is done on rich mixture, what is washing down oil from cylinder walls and cost excessive carbon.
"Italian tune up" might get rid of immediate problems, but wear out will accumulate.
I would scan the car for possible codes, but you are killing your engine period.

Last edited by kajtek1; 01-16-2016 at 11:34 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 03:00 AM

98 E320
Originally Posted by kajtek1
For idling 2 hr you should get generator.
No vehicle engine is design to idle for long time and bigger engines have computer programs that will either switch to high idle or shut down after about 10 minutes.
Idling is done on rich mixture, what is washing down oil from cylinder walls and cost excessive carbon.
"Italian tune up" might get rid of immediate problems, but wear out will accumulate.
I would scan the car for possible codes, but you are killing your engine period.
Thx for the quick response...I've had to idle the car at least an hr a lot for people I was waiting for so that's good to know...but would this also cause the car to start idling rough after 15-20 mins of the aftermarket stereo system playing, this is the only time it happens that fast...as if the car is being drained of power very quickly
Old 01-17-2016, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Again, if you routinely idle car for long time, you do have accumulation of carbon in the engine. That might pop as a problem at any time.
If you have climatronic, you can display car voltage while idling and see if the alternator might be acting.
Than your car has REC mode, that will give you about 1/2 hr of heat without engine running, so no real need for idling.
Did you check the codes?
Old 01-26-2016, 04:07 AM

98 E320
Originally Posted by kajtek1
Again, if you routinely idle car for long time, you do have accumulation of carbon in the engine. That might pop as a problem at any time.
If you have climatronic, you can display car voltage while idling and see if the alternator might be acting.
Than your car has REC mode, that will give you about 1/2 hr of heat without engine running, so no real need for idling.
Did you check the codes?
Yes...that's one of the strange parts about it there aren't any codes