E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Starting Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 SL320
Starting Problem

I have a 99 E320 that has started to give me a Starting Problem. When I start the car it starts right up, shows a 1000 RPM, then immediately stalls. Then I immediately try to start it again, then it starts and runs fine, until I reach wherever I'm going.

Then I come back and try to start it again, and the same thing happens and maybe this time it takes 2 or 3 times to get it started. Once it's running it runs without stalling while driving...?

This one is a mystery to me..Thanks for anyone's Help..Happy Motoring !!!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM

1999 E320
I own 99 E320 as well. Last Nov, I had experienced occasional starting problem. This was the first serious engine related issue I ever had since bought new. So, I panicked. 8)

When the car is left in the garage several hours, it would crank but won't start. Once it started, it was OK for weeks. I'd figure the symptom was related to engine temp when starting.

I searched in this forum and many owners mentioned common Crank Position Sensor (CPS) failure. Once I replaced with a new sensor, my car never had the starting issue. I would look into this first. It is inexpensive and easy to replace before you tackle anything else.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 AM

95 SL320
I ran a diagnostic test and it isn't showing a code for a Crank Position Sensor, it is however, showing a code for a EGR Valve but I just put in a Brand New one, so don't understand that. Can an EGR Valve cause the same problem..? Thanks for your response.
Also, I found out there are several different Crank Sensors available for this car, How do I find the correct one for my car...? Thanks for any Help.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Those can be also symptoms of leaky injector.
Harbor Freight has fuel gauges on sale for $19. Even they say they don't work with Bosch, they do fine on my 320 engine.
Hook up the gauge, start the engine for few seconds, shut it off and see how fast the pressure drop.
All parts should be bought starting with VIN

Last edited by kajtek1; 02-16-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:39 PM

95 SL320
Are you talking about a Fuel Pressure Regulator...my car takes a Apsolute Manifold Pressure something or another..I don't even know where it's located or what it looks like...?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:48 PM

1999 E320
Originally Posted by Flyboy82
I ran a diagnostic test and it isn't showing a code for a Crank Position Sensor, it is however, showing a code for a EGR Valve but I just put in a Brand New one, so don't understand that. Can an EGR Valve cause the same problem..? Thanks for your response.
Also, I found out there are several different Crank Sensors available for this car, How do I find the correct one for my car...? Thanks for any Help.
As I read it in the forum, CPS failure does not throw any code sometimes. I did not have any check engine light either.

EGR failure can show multiple codes depends on the problem as I understand it. You did not mentioned which code. One of them can say something about exhaust vacuum restriction(???) and has got nothing to do with the valve itself. If you did not clean out the EGR pipe leading to the intake manifold when replaced, it is probably due for cleaning carbon build up. When I cleaned my throttle body recently for the 1st time, I took out the tube and I was surprised to see it blocked 2/3rd of length with nasty carbon build ups. Take a look.

As for the part number of CPS, using the VIN number is the best way to go. However, I just bought Bosch brand from below link. It was an exact fit for 99' E320 Sedan for fitment check. Good luck with trouble shooting. Starting issue can be many things. If it starts but quits, I would look into fuel supply etc as well. Low fuel pressure for fuel pump or clogged filter.

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/0261210141
Old 02-16-2016, 01:05 PM

95 SL320
My code is P0400....Mine didn't look anything like that.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by Flyboy82
Are you talking about a Fuel Pressure Regulator...my car takes a Apsolute Manifold Pressure something or another..I don't even know where it's located or what it looks like...?
You should have shrader-type valve on fuel rail for pressure testing.
When injector is not holding static pressure, it will flood the cylinder after shut down, making restarting in next few hr much harder.
Once the engine gets cold, it affects less.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:24 PM

95 SL320
I found the problem..it was the EGR connection causing the problem...where the intake hose connects to the throttle Body...there is another male type hose sticking out of the intake hose that connects to the EGR valve system..when I installed the New EGR valve I didn't notice this sticking out and not going into another hose that is part of the EGR system and ever since then I've been getting the P0400 code and just the past few days it's been stalling my engine out on startup..more often when at normal engine temperature. It's NOT throwing anymore codes and the engine starts every time now and stays running.
Again thanks for your help.