E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Question Regarding the Fuel Pump (E320)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320
Question Regarding the Fuel Pump (E320)

Hello MB forum goers, how's it going? I recently just joined the forums and I was wondering if someone here could help me with a problem I am having with my car.

So it is a 2001 MB E320 and I have had it for a little over 3 years now. Recently it has broken down on me 3 different times in the worst possible spots and the first time it did it, we didn't know the cause. Eventually we got it figured out that the fuel pump was the culprit and we took the necessary steps to fix it. This was about 11 months ago when the first break down occurred. It has recently just started doing the very same thing so I know the issue, but I purchased a different fuel pump this time and so the instructions are different. In the instructions, it says to remove the fuse for the fuel pump and then start the engine to reduce fuel pressure, and then to turn it off and then back on after some time has passed to make sure pressure is gone.

Now, I did NOT take this step with my previous fuel pump because it never said to do so, and I was able to get the car working successfully. If I remove the fuse for the fuel pump, doesn't the car actually NOT start then? I apologize if this is the wrong area because like I said, I am new here but I need some help and it would be great if I could get it from here.

The fuel pump, if it helps, id a Precise brand name.

Not sure if this info is needed, but I will put it here in case.

The first break down occurred when I was headed home and was on the highway. It basically just shut down on me while we were driving. The steering wheel locked up and it threw every light at me that it could. Check engine, abs, e brake, and the like. We couldn't do much except wait for a tow to get it home and try to diagnose the problem. It would just crank but would not actually start.

Second time it happened was the exact same thing, but this time it happened about a week ago. It died on me at a stop light and we couldn't wait for our tow truck so we called local PD and they called their truck because we had to get the car out of the way ASAP due to it blocking traffic.

Third time, it happened again less than 3 days ago. Fortunately it was in a neighborhood on a side road so I wasn't in anyone's way. My dad and I quickly temporarily fixed it by taking off the cover underneath where the fuel pump is and just gave it a few knocks, and then it started right up but then we drove straight home.

So this new fuel pump is kinda weird, I guess. I tried youtubing videos, no luck. If anyone can help me, I would be very much appreciate it. Sorry for the long post, if you have any questions, feel free to post here or PM me. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
My Allah bless you, that is a wonderful opus just before cocktail time!! However I must say I have had a long day and I had much difficulty in trying to quickly determine the "topic sentence" of you recent ordeal.

Never the less I think your issue is whether to follow the install instructions of the recent supplier or ask here whether there may be different instructions on this forum for accomplishing the same task. Am I correct, if so is it possible to limit your response to a yes or no answer!!
Old 08-17-2016, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
pulling the fuse for the fuel pump will cause the car not to start.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1997 E320 sedan
I bought mine E320 in the february , i noticed fuel filter never been replaced ( rusty and dirty) as well as a fuel pump was a bit wet , i purchased pump and filter from NAPA with lifetime warranty , replaced without pulling a fuse , new hose NAPA clamps and car runs and drives perfect ......
Old 09-14-2016, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Bleeding the residual pressure from the rail is safety measure. And yes, the engine can fire up for few seconds on residual pressure, but not too many 15 years old cars hold it too well.
Other option is get fuel pressure gauge and measure out if you have anything to bleed in the first place.
The $19 pressure gauge can become very handy when you have fuel system problems.
Even Harbor Freight gauges say they don't work with Bosch systems, the fitting works.