E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 E320 Coolant Flush Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320 Coolant Flush Help

What's the right procedure to do a coolant flush for 2001 E3204M ? Just open the plug and let it drain out? In addition, where is the plug located?

ANother question, is it possible to drain the engine oil from under the vehicle instead of the "suction method" as described in mercedesshop.com?

Sorry for these ignorant questions but I'm trying this once on my own~ ANy help is much appreciated
Old 03-18-2004, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 164
I think the easyist way do drain it for collant is to remove the lowest hose on the radiator (but I am not sure about if this is the easiest way, so check with somebody else ) In the oilpan (the lowest part of the engine, there is a 8mm (or maybe 10mm?) screw/plug that you just remove and oil flows the engine should be quite hot when doing this (you dont have to harrace the **** out of it, just take it for a normal drive ), and dont do this in your livingroom gravel ground is always nice... Or just be very carefull oil can leave a lot of crap the oil flows quicker if you remove the oil lid and pop the oil level pin out first.. Hope this helps you out
Old 03-18-2004, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E300
Originally posted by flipflap
I think the easyist way do drain it for collant is to remove the lowest hose on the radiator (but I am not sure about if this is the easiest way, so check with somebody else ) In the oilpan (the lowest part of the engine, there is a 8mm (or maybe 10mm?) screw/plug that you just remove and oil flows the engine should be quite hot when doing this (you dont have to harrace the **** out of it, just take it for a normal drive ), and dont do this in your livingroom gravel ground is always nice... Or just be very carefull oil can leave a lot of crap the oil flows quicker if you remove the oil lid and pop the oil level pin out first.. Hope this helps you out
If I may recommend the Fumoto drain valve. I installed one of these on my E as soon as I got her.

I choose the drain valve becuase it:
1. Elliminate the infamous leak at the drain plug, as it comes with a really nice gasket
2. It's easy to drain te oil. Make sure the engine oil is warm, flip the switch and the oil flows with ease. If for some reason you need to stop the flow, just close the valve. Also you can attach a short length hose to fit onto the end of the valve to keep things clean and direct the oil anywhere you want.

Just a few pennies of info.

P.S. You don't have to worry about the valve opening while driving, it won't. You can buy a clip to go over the assembly to ensure that it won't open, but it's really tight so I just a a small zip tie just for my own piece of mind...
Old 03-18-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
2014 ML350 4Matic
There is a drain valve on the radiator. It is on the lower left corner of the radiator - at the bottom - should be a round red part about 13mm in diameter. There is a spigot facing rearward where you can attach a hose to a bucket to collect the coolant. On my E430 it drained everything including the block (not one drop came out of the block drain). Recycle the coolant. A drain and replace is all that should be necessary. Flushing should not be required. Yes, you can remove the plug from the oil pan and drain the oil in the normal manner - that is what I do. Get a new seal when you buy the filter. I've never had a drain plug leak - ever.