E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 and safety

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB, W124 300E
W210 and safety

Hello all.
I am a new member here, my first question coming up here:

I was a happy owner of a 2001 W210 E300T
Great wagon.
I say was, last fall I was in a car crash, a car pulled out right in front of me, I was doing 60 Km/h and the car pulled out 10 meters infant of me, bang!
Lucky, I was ok and so was the driver of the other car. Lucky for her, I did hit her right behind her door, the back door/seat was just a big mess, These was a 2013 Prius.
I was sendt to the hospital for a regular check and here is what I was a bit shocked to learn:
The medic riding next to me in the ambulanse did radio the hospital giving the information about me, THEN he say`s PASIENT was driving a Mercedes Benz Wagon!
WHY?
I did ask him about these, he then told me, given the information on what car, the hospitals team know how to prepare them self, for the driver of the Prius the team will be prepared with more severe injury than with you.

To me, these was amazing. Telling me one thing MB are good car to be in when something goes wrong.
The next morning, when I was going home, a old Doc come to my room, telling me that I was fine, nothing wrong, all good to go.
We then got to talk a bit about cars and accident. He told me, there is a reason why a lot of Doc drive MB`s, they are safe cars!
He then told me that the safest cars to be in are, larger is better, MB, Volvo, Audi and Jaguar. People involved in a car crash, riding in these cars end up in a better situation than those who dont.
Says a lot.
But so to my question.
How is a W210 holding up today?
I know, the Prisu did not do very well. But some cars today are very small, but they do get high points in a crash test......All good, but in real life?

Safety is to me a great concern now, having become a father and all. Need to think safety.
So, my next MB is going to be a family car.
Will my family be good in a W210/211 or a late 220/early W221, compared to a W205?
The w204 is more modern, to some, but lack the space of the others.
Also newer, for the same amount of money.

All help/tip is welcome.

Cheers all.