E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Xenons different colors!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Xenons different colors!

I've had my 1999 E430 for a 3 years now. A few months ago, while driving I noticed that my passenger side Xenon was not reflecting as brightly off of shine surfaces (i.e. other cars). I thought it was a just my imagination, but I decided to look at the lights myself and I did notice that my driver-side Xenon was the intense light blue (as it should be) but my passenger side was a dull, purplish hue. The difference isn't huge, but it it noticable.
I recently took the car into the dealership to replace a burnt out fog light (driver-side) and I asked to look at the Xenon issue as well. They ended up replacing the bulb on the passenger-side (faulty) Xenon. I asked them if it could be an electrical thing, because of the fog light was also burnt out, but they couldn't confirm this. Unfortunately, the newly replaced Xenon light looks exactly the same as before, but they told me it would take a few hours (upto a 100 hours!!!) for it to match up (i.e. become the intense light blue).
I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with Xenons. Could this be a weak electrical connection with the bulb? Was the dealership feading me lies?

Thanks

MercMan
Old 04-05-2002, 10:58 PM

2000 E320
Hi this is my first post....here's information from a Tech service bulliten about your concern, hope it helps:

"Cause: After a Xenon bulb is replaced a difference in the color may be visible between the new bulb and the Xenon bulb already in operation for a longer period. The headlamp with new Xenon bulb has a yellow/white light. The headlamp with the old Xenon bulb has a bright white color. This is preceived as blue by the human eye."

"Remedy: The described complaint is a typical characterisitc of Xenon bulbs. If only one Xenon bulb is replaced in a Xenon headlamp system which has already been in operation for some time, advise cust accordingly..."
Old 04-06-2002, 11:09 AM

96´E280 6.cyl
Hello

2 weeks ago. I had that problem solved. The driver´s side xenon was normal and the passenger side xenon had alot less "xenon colour" , becoming a little yellow.

At the dealer , they putted new bulbs, and it was always the same. Next week, they found out that wasn´t the bulb, but the xenon amplifier.So, i had to replace it, since the old one was messed up. Now, they both look ok
Old 04-08-2002, 01:02 PM

Smile Xenon

Thanks LorinserLV2 and EMan! I will followup with my dealer regarding the Xenon Amplifier. I really believe that this or some other electrical malfunction has to be the cause. Both Xenons were fine for the first couple of year, then suddenly one misbehaves, so it has to be something electrical. Anyways, now I have to schedule another appointment with the dealer (which can take a couple of weeks... arrgghh) and TELL THEM what the problem is as oppose to them diagnosing it the themselves (lol)!

MercMan
Old 07-10-2006, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55 ///AMG Cabrio, ML63 ///AMG
Was it the igniter and not the amplifier?

Originally Posted by MercMan
Thanks LorinserLV2 and EMan! I will followup with my dealer regarding the Xenon Amplifier. I really believe that this or some other electrical malfunction has to be the cause. Both Xenons were fine for the first couple of year, then suddenly one misbehaves, so it has to be something electrical. Anyways, now I have to schedule another appointment with the dealer (which can take a couple of weeks... arrgghh) and TELL THEM what the problem is as oppose to them diagnosing it the themselves (lol)!

MercMan