E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

help with malfunction codes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 e320
help with malfunction codes

hi ya'll,
was doin an upgrade on the '97 e...just replaced the taillights w/ '00 taillights. all was fine til i tested lights. when turning on headlights, the rear passenger side doesnt turn on, but driver side does. but when i brake, passenger side only will turn on. and then i started car and dash says, lamp failure, abs, and ets malfunction...before switching taillights, i never had any problems. and now, i just tested again, i have no brake lights, not even the 3rd brake light...i tested different bulbs and no luck...any help or advice please....much appreciated in advance
Old 04-07-2004, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
S, GL, Escalade ESV, my shoes
Re: help with malfunction codes

I would start by putting the old tail lights set back in first (you don't have to tighten it), and check to see what happen. Most likely, if you still have bulbs failed messages, then it's the fuse.

One of the board on the tail light maybe short circuit, and causes this problem.

Originally posted by gokool
hi ya'll,
was doin an upgrade on the '97 e...just replaced the taillights w/ '00 taillights. all was fine til i tested lights. when turning on headlights, the rear passenger side doesnt turn on, but driver side does. but when i brake, passenger side only will turn on. and then i started car and dash says, lamp failure, abs, and ets malfunction...before switching taillights, i never had any problems. and now, i just tested again, i have no brake lights, not even the 3rd brake light...i tested different bulbs and no luck...any help or advice please....much appreciated in advance
Old 04-07-2004, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 e320
Re: Re: help with malfunction codes

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zam2000
[B]I would start by putting the old tail lights set back in first (you don't have to tighten it), and check to see what happen. Most likely, if you still have bulbs failed messages, then it's the fuse.

i put back old taillights, and nothing...also switch bulbs to passenger side and they worked there...will check fuses when i get home...so worried about codes that i never thought about checking the fuses....do you know which location fuses for rear lights are? engine, side sterring column, or under rear seats? thanks for the tips