E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Trouble Clearing SRS Light.. Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 190D; 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
Trouble Clearing SRS Light.. Advice?

Hello, Everyone..

I bought a used 2000 E320 Wagon which has the SRS light on (yeah, yeah.. I know!) and took it to a reputable independent mechanic who has the appropriate software to troubleshoot and clear SRS codes. The tech said that all of the subsystems of the SRS checked out fine except that the SRS module doesn't appear to be able to communicate with the software. He suspected that the module was faulty. I purchased a used, presumably good module from eBay, installed it, and took it back to him. He wasn't there but another tech looked at it and said that he's unable to clear the light due to a code which states "low voltage to SRS module" (I'm not sure of the exact wording from the software). I back-probed the harness and have proper voltage at the connector pins involving the two fused circuits providing voltage to the SRS. Anyone have any thoughts? Does the module need to be coded at the stealership? I really don't want to have to take it there but I will if I run out of options.. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Old 04-22-2017, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frankly - personally I have not seen a faulty module - a faulty seat sensor heck yes - faulty seat sensor connections/cross-short heck yes - so I don't know what to tell you.

If you're only concerned about the SRS warning light on the dash - you can pull that bulb - and black out the console LED - if you're concerned about function - frankly a indie w/W210 experience is worth their weight - hard to find W210 experience at a dealer.

Maybe someone else will have a more constructive comment.

Keep the beat !
Old 04-23-2017, 05:41 PM

fabbrisd1 - thanks for your reply. I'm mainly concerned with getting the SRS system back to normal since this is my wife's car. It'd be nice to have airbags as intended, when needed!

Anyone else have any ideas? Any veterans out there with W210 SRS experience?
Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,104 Likes on 809 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
For your consideration - the major "fail" points on the SRS system are (1) seat sensor "mat" element fails (2) wire breakage in the harness connector to the seat sensor - #1 ballpark is 85% - #2 is ballpark 10% - #3 which is anything else is about 5%.

There are China or German or Slovian "emulators" that wire into the harness connector that eliminate the SRS trigger - whether yoiu use a emulator - or replace the seat sensor - or repair the harness wiring - you will still need the SRS light cleared by Star
Old 04-26-2017, 05:02 PM

fabbrisd1 - Again, thank you for replying.

My seat mat apparently checks-out okay. I do have an emulator which I could install but since the only problem is reportedly low voltage to the module, I'm going hold-off on installing it. My battery is a bit old and, I suspect, may occasionally drop its voltage enough to throw a code. I'm going to load test it this weekend and, if necessary, replace it.

I suppose all the other veteran posters on here must be burned-out by others' SRS light gremlins! Are you all not entertained?!