E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Xenon in my W210

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E270 W210
Xenon in my W210

Hello.

I recently got the idea of swapping out all my halogen bulbs with Xenon ones, because it looks cooler in my oppinion :p

After some googling, I found out that I need a HID kit for my Xenons to get enough power.
My question to you is: If I want Xenon in both my driving lights, and my parking lights, do I need 2x HID kits?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
* don't do it * - that is the cheap way out, produces poor results and at worse may
get you a ticket depending on your locale.

your headlight utilizes a halogen spec'ed reflector. trying to install an HID bulb sold
with the HID kits and placed into your reflector will result in light scatter, uncontrolled
glare and hot/cold spots. it may look 'cool' when you're outside looking at your car,
but from a driver's perspective, the resulting light quality will be lacking. in addition
drivers in the opposing lanes will likely experience discomfort and possibly dangerously
so (e.g. motorcyclists) if you follow through with these bulbs.

i would suggest that the best method to gain HID output is to

1) install an HID headlight assembly manufactured by MB/Hella , or
2) seriously consider retrofitting your headlight with a projector made by one of the
OEM light manufacturers (Maxima, Mercedes 211 class, BMW, etc) which is commonly
referred to as the E55 projector. some assembling and cutting is required. the results
will will make you grin
3) you can consider other OEM projectors but they will require more fabrication and
creativity on your part and include sanding, Bondo, JB Welding, metal fabricating,
etc....more labor involved.

Light, headlight, installing an HID kit into 210 reflector headlight
http://i7.tinypic.com/2gx09l2.jpg
http://i15.tinypic.com/2ppeptx.jpg
http://i9.tinypic.com/4boasuo.jpg

A good place to research is HiDplanet.com

Light, headlight, Depo retrofit to HID
My new DEPO RS6-ZKW retrofit with AMBER Demon Eyes... Forums RS6
Has anyone retrofitted projectors into OEM non-HID headlights? Forums
Depo headlight HID projector retro Forums E55
Depo headlight HID projector retro Forums TL #post 72

Oh, it is rare that folks double up with 2 HID kits but it is possible. it involves much more
planning. the results may not be not alway be appreciated given the occasional-to-rare
instances where you're using high beams. also, the HID bixenon, full beam coverage is
so good that you may not even need 2x high beams.

Last edited by raymond g-; 07-08-2017 at 01:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sammyfabio (07-07-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes E270 W210
Hi again

i just got ahold of a set of original Xenon lights for my MB, and I also saw that the bulbs I ordered for my parking lights were LED, not Xenon.

Thanks for helping me out anyway, now I know for ideas that may come up in the future :-)