E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Power Steering noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 01:21 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering noise

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 96 E320

Hope someone could extend their help... this may be a pretty stupid question

Recently, there are noises coming from the steering wheel when I turn.

I wanted to check the steering fluid reservoir .. but I don't know where it is, and I could find it on the owner's manual

if someone could direct me to it, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:35 PM
Almost a Member!

could someone direct me where I could locate the power steering fluid reservior?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 E350 4matic/97 e320 and 01 ml320
same problem

hey buddy, i had the same problem...i opened my powersteering cap and had a little fluid. i filled it up and the noise went away.. the car was good for two days and it happened again. i jacked the car up and notice that there was oil under the rack and pinion.
i had to get my rack rebuilt.....dealer's rack and pinion new-$2250
used rack and pinion with installation...$400 cant beat that..
any ways location....open your hood...on the right hand side three quarters way down from the left fender(this is looking from in front of the car now left and right switched up) there is a black cap that has ridges for grip.just left of the windshield fluid resorvior.. open it up. if u need fluid, fill it up and the noise will stop...then take it to a mechanic and have them run a powersteering fluid check....hope this helps
rock
Old 04-27-2004, 12:45 AM
Almost a Member!

thanks for the tip man,

very much appreciated.

Does it matter whether you pour in MB spec power steering fluid or any ATF fluid is fine?

also, just a general question, in terms of reliability, are benz getting worst and worst?? This is the first time I own a MB, my impression of benz is that they are quite reliable at first.. that's why I didn't do enough research before my purchase. As I find out later on the web, MB's reputation is really going downhill in terms of reliability.. some are even saying BMW is even more reliable than benz.. that's why there are so may sites such as lemonbenz etc. A lot of people are complaining that even the new E class has alot of problems. So why the hell are we paying $60,000 for a car that has the same reliability as a LADA!!!

When I first bought my used benz, there were electrical problem which caused my car to completely shut down!!
Fortunately, the dealership honour the warranty and fixed everything... till this day, I am not what was the root cause of the problem... but all of sudden, I can fill the car is losing its electrical power while it is still running... the ESP lights comes on, the brake lights comes on.. then the lights starts to dim... and then it just completely dies.. and I couldn't even turn on the emergency signal cause the car is completely dead....

It hasn't happen since that time (touch wood).. but now this steering problem..

I had another car which I am planning to replace with another MB since I really love the smooth ride ... but now I am having second thoughts... originally, I was planning on a 2000 S430 or S500

but I guess I am leaning towards a 2001 LS430

Do S class have even MORE problems than the E class?