E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Brake Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E320 - 04 E320
Brake Wear

Hello guys, I need a help on this. I had my front brake replaced about a year ago. The job included replacement of rotors, pads and sensors. Now my brake is failing. I am even beginning to hear metal to metal squick when I apply the brakes, yet there's no indication in the cluster. I went to my mechanic who examined it and says the reason is because the wear is uneven, yet I hear noise from both wheels. He insists that they both have sensors.

I need a brake job urgently and don't think I trust him again. What's your opinion as to the possible cause and my next step.
Thanks for the anticipated response.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
When I changed my front brake pads at about 30K miles, I noticed that the passenger pads wore unevenly. It was because the caliper go stuck. Thus one pad wore faster than the other. If pad that has the sensor is not the one wearing faster, then the warning light will not come on. They seem to be wearing evenly now. I didn't change out the stuck caliper. I cleaned everythng up and put some anti-sieze paste on the sliding surfaces. If the calipers are sticky due to rust or corrosion, then replacement is the best bet so it does not happen again.

Have your mechanic pull both brake calipers to inspect for stuck calipers.

Since it is happening on both sides, I would have both caliper assemblies replaced along with new pads.

If the rotors are scored on one side, I would have them replaced too. A note, my original rotors were machined when I replaced my pads, but they soon warped after only a few weeks. They were way beyond spec for thickness, but they did not like to be machined. Search for other posts, most would recommend replaced rather than resurfacing.