E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

30 year warrenty ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess you have already exhausted your options with MB USA.
I don't know what else to say.. since you have already tried local as well as regional rep from MB USA with no avail.

I think you could consider filing a complaint with the business bearu if you have the time.. or inform MB USA you will pursue this option if action is not taken from them swiftly.. I think you'd probably hinted that to them.. and they probably didn't really care.

but anyways, with respect to modification.. it will probably requires an after market ECU or a remapped ECU from a MB tuners to adjust when you install an after market exhaust system.

In a sense, it might actually drasticallly improve the overall car if you put in a Haltech and basically remap everything... you'll probably need a shop that really know what he is doing .. to match the engineering of the original set-up by AMG.. but at least you can pretty much reconfigure your entire engine management.

peace
Old 05-19-2004, 09:24 PM

Lexus LS 400 2000m
Incredible, I was at the dealer droping off the car for the waterpump and so myself and another 2 guys got a ride to work on the shuttle, I found out that one of the guys had a 97 E320 and the same thing! Rust...he was there for a dead air conditioner and guess what I all of a sudden need a new alternator! everytime I bring it in for the last 4 times the car need it something else after I go back to pick it up...I am starting to believe it's the service centre trying to break last years record for income for the shareholders!!! Got to go get a part time job so I can continue to drive in STYLE .... not. So long Hubert
Old 05-20-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,066 Likes on 855 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
OK guys, MB Canada says it's not covered under their warranty since it was imported to the US. MB US says it's not under their warranty since it is a Canadian vehicle. Both the Canadian and US emission warranties are the same as are all the components and I'm still within the limit on both warranties.

I spoke the the US EPA today and they said that it doesn't sound like a valid excuse Mercedes US is giving me since the Canadian and US cars are identical. They said I need a letter of refusal from MB USA so I can persue action against MB USA for failure to comply with US emission laws. They also said that if the failure rate is high enough they can force a recall.

OK guys, let me know who has or had failing cats. I need some more ammo so I can make a case against these %*^*&*! This whole thing makes no sense at all.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:21 AM

1997 E420
I had a failed cat in my E420. When requesting the letter of refusal from MB, make sure you calmly let them know what you plan to do with it. Tell them that the you spoke with XXXX at the XXXX EPA office and the EPA will be requesting failure records from them and that it is going to become a huge PITA. They should soften up and do the repair.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, I let them know the refusal letter was going straight to the US EPA. I have no letter yet and I've asked for one more than three times. However, when I called into their customer service number, they said they are going to refuse to replace the cats. My dealer is trying on his end and has reinforced what my intentions were and that I was not going to stop short of presenting the information to the US EPA. I told them that if this is pushed far enough and the EPA finds many more cases like this it could lead to a recall of all the MB catalytic converters. Wow, would that cost MB!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update, I received a call from MB corporate today. They told me they haven't forgotten about me and they are trying to work things out. Maybe they are concerned about a forced recall? I don't know what is going on but I got someones attention. No new cats yet but they are at least reconsidering their initial response.
Old 05-27-2004, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, they agreed to replace them under warranty. Woo hoo! What a PITA! Twenty phone calls later and and constant bickering back and fourth paid off. They are finally going to be replaced and have already been ordered for installation.

Maybe they were worried the US EPA was going to step in and force a recall or maybe they just tried to do the right thing? Either way, it works for me.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sold 2003 CLK 500,2003 SL 500,2006 Acura MDX,1998 BMW M3 convertible
i have rust under the rockerpanel on the driver side door and it started to bubble up the the bottomside.i went to my dealer and found out that some other dealer in my state perform a tecnical service bullintin (TSB)on my car iam the secound onwer now i just brought my car 2 month ago and found out that this is a common problem on 98-02 e 320 so i checked my car for rust and found rust on driver side kick panel so i went to my local dealer cause i found that this tsb was perform in 2005 i wasnt the owener then but it was perform to prevent rust from forming on the car. .they told me that they will check up on this and will let the warranty know about my case and that they will call me the next day.i hope they can help me in this problem cause this is a factory defect i live in florida and my car is a florida vehicle.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 AM

Lexus LS 400 2000m
Wink Posted 2004

Originally Posted by BlownV8
OK, they agreed to replace them under warranty. Woo hoo! What a PITA! Twenty phone calls later and and constant bickering back and fourth paid off. They are finally going to be replaced and have already been ordered for installation.

Maybe they were worried the US EPA was going to step in and force a recall or maybe they just tried to do the right thing? Either way, it works for me.
I got linked back to the Forum by an email I received 080311, regarding a post I made on this thread back in 2004... I had rust, needed a water pump, and a new air conditioner, very surprised to see this in my emai...
Shortly after this post I came across a 2000 Lexus LS 400 with 39k and I haven't looked back. Built like Tank! I have not been to the dealer for anything other than regular maintenance I swear not even a light bulb!!
The other great benefit; I don't get the hate from the wannabes and the scorn from bluebloods...there is something to be said for the understated elegance of a LS and the superb quality.
According to Consumer Reports MB is a bottom tier quality member and from what I briefly read and heard the problems continue unabated, sad really...
Good luck to all of you. Hope MB North America changes its ways...