E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Alternator / Battery - 1998 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 e320
Alternator / Battery - 1998 E320

If you are one of the unlucky ones that purchased this vehicle, and you are a newbie like me, welcome to the expensive adventure! I have been working on my mothers E320 that only has 70,000 miles and has been nothing but a money pit. So you have the red battery charge light on your dashboard and you have already replaced the battery perhaps. If not, here are a few things to expect...

Battery

1.) No warning signs at ALL for me. Went out to start it and the key wouldn't even turn. The steering wheel was locked up and I was unable to even pop the trans into neutral. This happens when the battery voltage is below 5v I believe.
2.) Make sure when replacing the battery (which is located in the passenger back seat) that it is the same exact height as the old one. If not, obviously the seat will not go back into its original position.
3.) On my adventure for a new battery, the cost is ridiculous! I got my BRAND NEW battery from Harris Battery for $120 out the door including the core (2018). https://www.harrisbattery.com/

4.) After you replace the battery, your windows may not work correctly. Re-synchronization is required. You can find this information by a quick google search

Alternator

1.) HAVE IT REBUILT!!! It is way cheaper! Average price I was coming up with was around $250 the lowest online. If you buy from MB directly, you are going to pay double if not triple. Do a search for "starter and alternator rebuilding" in google maps for the closest business in your area. Got mine done for WAY under a $100.
2.) Ok, now to get this bad boy out. We have to get the fan and the shroud out of the way. There are two clamps on both sides of the shroud on the top, pull them straight up and off.
3.) On the front of the fan, there will be three Allen screws, very easy to take off. No need to mess with fan motor or water pump.
4.) Serpentine belt needs to be removed next. The tension pulley is on the right driver side.
5.) You will see the hose coming from the water pump directly in front of the alternator on the bottom passenger side. Unclamp just the high end of the hose and let it drain, then push it towards the water pump so it is out of the way.
6.) You will see the two screws, one on the top and one on the bottom. Remove those then pry out the alternator with a crowbar GENTLY.
7.) Once you have the alternator free, you will have two nuts to remove to free the electrical connections.
8.) Reverse directions to install. *Don't forget to check your antifreeze level after installation is completed!
The following users liked this post:
raymond g- (03-24-2018)
Old 03-24-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 e320 sedan
i hope that when you said "rebuilt" all you did was replace the voltage regulator. that was most likely all it needed. bobby.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I have no idea where replacing a battery in a 15-18yr old sedan is a "money pit".

On battery replacement - please download original Owner's Manual for 2001/2002 E-Class from mbusa.com Owner's Section and follow ALL reset instructions - steering angle sensor - radio - each window - and sunroof. Not resetting each window & sunroof will cause premature regulators.

When replacing alternator - GREAT time to check belt tensioner - early W210's had a belt tensioner that is inherently subject to failure - later models have updated belt tensioner - do a forum search to understand the different between "innie" and "outie" tensioner designs to know if you have old style to replace.

Also GREAT time for fresh belt

Also GREAT time to check water pump for leakage - minor seepage OK.

Also GREAT time to check/replace idler pulley and the other belt dohicky if worn.

Any low mileage W210 should get FRESH MB/G05 coolant if mixing concetrate - if mixing concentrate use ONLY distilled water for the miz - not tap water. This puts cooling system back into neutral pH to prevent internal engine/cooling system internal corrrosion