E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

No key No start

Old 04-05-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No key No start

W210 E320 2001 new battery and checks to 12.6dcv /load test perfect. Grounds under hood are clean corrosion free. New key (last year from dealer; vin specific) (battery in remote does NOT control ignition; batteries control locks;w/o battery car will start), remote does work for locks (possible because they are vacuum ???); will not turn in ignition, radio goes on w/o key inserted. head lamps work occasionally currently no voltage at under hood jumper connect, no dash message ctr.
ATTACHED a jump box to under hood connect, key turn, engine starts and ALL accessories work; NO codes, express windows sunroof, steering all work.
DISCONNECTED jump box and engine stops.
TESTED for current draw HELD @ 0.02a/ 20 ma for five days. Yesterday W210 started ran 10 miles. I turned off would not restart, no key turn, ZERO volts at under hood conned, 12.6 dcv at battery. Previous after a "battery" charge all seems OK. Possible Nav DVD was running constant w/ disc installed; removed disk and DVD stopped /turned off. Car sleeps correctly (except it will not "wake-up) :>)
Fuses are all good. Have not viewed K40 fuses NOR jumper tested K40 - l not ll then turn key for starter relay test.
Climate control #24 shows 12.3 not running and 12.9 running while simultaneously under hood shows 12.6/ 14 running.
Appears alternator is working/charging however voltage regulator might not work(??) altho no current draw. Valeo alternator $675 VR $180
Questions: where does the positive battery cable from under rear seat go/connect to? starter or relay? where does the solenoid wire to? Where does battery ground cable connect to body? under seat or a common ground
Old 04-06-2018, 08:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Faulty ignition module
The following users liked this post:
wallstreet (07-17-2018)
Old 04-07-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
1997 E300D
Since everything works when the jump box is on the jump terminal, it sounds like a connection problem to the battery under the seat. I don't know the wire run between the battery and the jump terminal, but I would start at the battery and clean the connectors with a battery brush. I would then check the negative disconnect on the front of the seat ahead of the battery, just above the foot well. Then I would check for 12.6 volts at the jump terminal. Sorry I can not tell you what to check next, but I would follow the wire from the jump terminal to try to figure out the wire run.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:56 PM

no key no start

Nelbur I agree there seems to be a "dis-connect" from the battery. I was asking for information on that line of connection. The battery connections are brushed clean.
An aside and for example: Today is a Tuesday. Car sat from last Tuesday w/ a VOM sitting on front passenger seat connected to the battery @ 12.5 dcv no charger connected and held until Sunday @ 12.5. I drove car Sunday and Monday; started fine AND VOM showed 14.0 dcv running. Today NO START; VOM -0-. The doors were locked last evening w/ remote and red light appeared on dash. It seems red light goes out by morning by itself and then car does not start. Just tried to start 12 hrs later from this AM ... started w/ VOM showing 12.28 ..14.0 running (????)
"check the negative disconnect on the front of the seat ahead of the battery ".... I will check... I was told it is in trunk right rear(???) Not certain what wires from battery connect to this devise.
Heavy red wire goes direct to starter then to jump connect?.
Lesser red wires go to where? devise under right front hood? negative disconnect?
Radio still plays w/ NO key (removed)

Last edited by wallstreet; 04-10-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 PM

Plutoe It appears you might be correct. BIG . First indy said same in May 2018. I dropped W210 2001 E320 at a dealer last week; $149.00 to diagnose.
E320 started w/o charging every day for the past three months. Dealer found no problem except they mentioned the EIS. After a week of them driving and scanning... no problem even from old codes. The bezel on the key "slot" was loose; they tightened. Dealer is questioning what the pins look like; as in loose or disconnected/broken.
In another post, a member mentions the horn or accessory would not function until they giggled the key; then it would work.
Question Is the 2001 E320 EIS VIN specific? Remote key is VIN specific.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:42 AM

no key no start

Problem slowly degraded to: jump box removed no run.
E-320 started and ran well. I drove a few blocks from home. Turned ignition off. Upon re- start: NO KEY turn.
Used a jump box. Car started, jump box removed, no run.
Applied jump box under hood and drove to dealer who stated "they could not re-create this problem in July/2018". Replaced EIS. Car still would not run; same issue once jump box removed engine quit.
See photo . There is a junction connection behind accelerator pedal.... CORRODED!
Explains why front SAM and rear SAM (battery) would not connect.??? Junction block $22 from Germany / Labor $350.00

Front rear connection