E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

97 E420 MAS replacement? Source?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
Exclamation 97 E420 MAS replacement? Source?

Hey all, after reading all about the P0170, P0173, P0507, P0455 OBDII codes (my car has them all) it seems I might need a new MAS. I have goofy idle (sometimes perfect, sometimes bounces, sometimes wants to accel at stop, etc). Am I on the right track here?h

Everyone says how easy they are to replace on the E320 (six cyl) but I have an 8 cyl. I popped the intake cover off tonight and had a look-see. Not as easy as a 320 I think.

Any advice on 1) procedure, 2) good factory service manual, 3) source for the MAS part (hey, everyone says so-and-so has 'em cheap but they always seem to be $450 or so). The thing looks like its worth about twenty bucks...any good alternative sources or OEM parts available?

Oh, and for what it's worth too: if I unplug the neg battery cable, does that reset the CEL? Or do I need to actually have it de-programmed using a scanner? I have one that gave me the codes easy enough....but if neg cable trick works I'll just use that...can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2004, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 F-150 XLT Sport Crew Cab
I had to do this when I had my benz. This part for most cars only costs $150 and lower. Since this is a mercedes we must pay "extra". The only way to get one of these is to buy it from the dealership. There is no aftermarket company that is allowed to make one of these yet due to legal right benz has on it. This information i'm telling you is about 1 year old since I sold it last year so things could of changed.

Also beaware that there are 2 types of MAS for your car. It all depends on your setup, yr, type. I would not suggest eBay for that reason (people tend to lie). The dealership charges $450 like you said and i think it's lifetime if im correct.

Good luck.
Old 05-29-2004, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Re: 97 E420 MAS replacement? Source?

Originally posted by hageshe
Hey all, after reading all about the P0170, P0173, P0507, P0455 OBDII codes (my car has them all) it seems I might need a new MAS. I have goofy idle (sometimes perfect, sometimes bounces, sometimes wants to accel at stop, etc). Am I on the right track here?h

Everyone says how easy they are to replace on the E320 (six cyl) but I have an 8 cyl. I popped the intake cover off tonight and had a look-see. Not as easy as a 320 I think.

Any advice on 1) procedure, 2) good factory service manual, 3) source for the MAS part (hey, everyone says so-and-so has 'em cheap but they always seem to be $450 or so). The thing looks like its worth about twenty bucks...any good alternative sources or OEM parts available?

Oh, and for what it's worth too: if I unplug the neg battery cable, does that reset the CEL? Or do I need to actually have it de-programmed using a scanner? I have one that gave me the codes easy enough....but if neg cable trick works I'll just use that...can anyone confirm?

Thanks
Try The Mercedes site for any Info that you may Need
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/

Parts stop/Fast Lane on Mercedesshop.com has Great Prices for any MB Part..Also Tom Hanson At Caliber Mercedes can give you 15/20% off list on Most all MB parts

When You remove the Battery it will reset the CEL..But NOT Remove the stored code..That Must be done with a MB Star or other diag code reader
Old 06-21-2004, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
Talking 97 E420 MAS replacement? Source?

Originally posted by MARK CUMMINS
Try The Mercedes site for any Info that you may Need
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/

Parts stop/Fast Lane on Mercedesshop.com has Great Prices for any MB Part..Also Tom Hanson At Caliber Mercedes can give you 15/20% off list on Most all MB parts

When You remove the Battery it will reset the CEL..But NOT Remove the stored code..That Must be done with a MB Star or other diag code reader
Mark,

Did you ever get your MBZ running correctly?

I bought a MAS sensor that is a genuine MBZ part that will work on the TDIs. I was having a problem with my E-300 DT, so tried installing it, and it works fine even though the manufacture and the models are different. I paid $100 for it from a MBZ dealer.

Very easy to change BTW!

HTHs