E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Transmission popping out of drive into neutral

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 03:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 E430 4matic
Transmission popping out of drive into neutral

First, the car was sitting for 2 years and I just got it back on the road after our lease got turned in. I just posted a different thread about an hour ago about serious driveline vibrations at the shifter but after going to post a video of what was going on with it, I backed out of my driveway and put the car in drive. As soon as I let me foot off of the brake, the shifter popped into neutral. It will do this repeatidly. It will go into drive and stay there just fine, but as soon as the brakes are released and the car starts rolling it pops out and if you hold it back in the drive position it will try and force its way back to neutral. Any ideas?

More information on the trans:

Rebuilt 12,000 miles ago (2.5yrs ago) with new radiator and conductor plates etc. Has always driven fine up until about a week ago.
Old 08-04-2018, 06:48 PM

2001 E430 4matic
After some more info digging, i seen some mention the shifter bushings. So I went under the car and was looking at the linkage and it was just swinging free. It was not making contact with anything though so I put the car in drive and went back under.... Bingo! The linkage was sitting against the flexjoint. This explains everytnkng, the vibrations and all. I believe the vibration that everyone speaks of now is their shift linkage make actual contact with the flex joint. So to verify I zip tied the linkage back tight away from the ds and started it up. Walla, no more vibrations or popping out of gear. Oye vey.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
1996 E320, 2018 Ducati Panigale V4S, 2012 1199 Panigale
Originally Posted by Little
After some more info digging, i seen some mention the shifter bushings. So I went under the car and was looking at the linkage and it was just swinging free. It was not making contact with anything though so I put the car in drive and went back under.... Bingo! The linkage was sitting against the flexjoint. This explains everytnkng, the vibrations and all. I believe the vibration that everyone speaks of now is their shift linkage make actual contact with the flex joint. So to verify I zip tied the linkage back tight away from the ds and started it up. Walla, no more vibrations or popping out of gear. Oye vey.
Crazy. Thanks for updating us. Are you going to replace the bushing or just rock a zip tie?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:40 AM

2001 E430 4matic
No I picked up the bushing yesterday at the dealership. Guy gave it to me for free. Now need to decide whether I'm going to pull the console and do it from above or try and get my hands in there underneath.