E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Oil Usage - Burning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 E320
Oil Usage - Burning

Hello All,

Haven't posted for a while, just wanted to share an interesting thing happened. Here are the details.

I posted while back, my car was using motor oil and I was losing 2 quarts over 5000 miles of driving.

I asked around and got different answers, there was a member, who suggested not to fill to the MAX line and keep the oil level between MIN and MAX line.

I tried this and fill the car with 8 Quarts (double check I believe it was 8) of Mobil 1, this left me with oil marking between MIN-MAX.

I drove the car for 7000 miles and I didnt lose any OIL.

I dont know why this happened, in the past I would fill it to the MAX line and was losing oil. Also, after driving 7000 miles oil looks real good as opposed to before.

take care
Old 06-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e
Dont know if this is true for MB's but it it could be a partially or clogged crankase breather system. Normally a collection chamber or 'swirl pot' translates gaseous/ vapour into oil which then feeds back into the crankcase. but what can happen is that the gas/ vapour in the chamber/pot does not form a liquid oil, but grease. If the breather is blocked with grease, then you get an overpressure in the block which results in more burnt oil. If you put less oil in, you get less of an overpressure and less burnt oil.

or it could be worn valve guides or stems or most likely a failing turbo. worse case scenario is nuked piston rings.

just drinking beer and playing detective.

regards

abtex

PS get a compression and leak down test. that will sort you out

Last edited by abtex; 06-04-2004 at 02:17 PM.