E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Help! Almost everything not working on my 2002 E320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E320
Help! Almost everything not working on my 2002 E320

About 5 months ago, I changed the batteries on my key fob. It wont work now. I left my keys on the counter at a store and the door key was on them. someone stole them. 2 months ago, my trunk started acting up. It wouldn't close, then it started not opening, then it would open on its own and now it is completely out. Then my central locking & alarm system went out. The rear dome light started staying on.. The other day I shut the rear passenger door and my alarm started sounding and it would go on intermittently all day. It hadnt worked in 5 months prior to this. Then the parktron light started staying on, even after i pulled the fuse. Yesterday out of the blue, my windows stopped working along with my horn, blinkers, windshield wipers, hazard light. All the fuses were good the other day and I will start by checking them all again. We opened the trunk the other day by blowing into the tube in the air compressor.

Im thinking there must be a ground wire loose somewhere, but then I don't understand why it wouldn't all go out at once. I need a quick fix if anyone knows of one. My grandaughter who is 4, is having heart surgery tomorrow and I need to go down the hill to Loma Linda. I can't afford to take my car to mercedes right now. Anyone?

Last edited by Lisa Boucher; 03-20-2019 at 03:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
If this were my car, I would remove the rear seat and inspect the battery compartment. That is a
target rich environment consisting of fuses, relays, pneumatic systems equipment pump, battery etc.
The widespread symptoms you're describing seems to indicate that water may have entered that
compartment and shorted out critical components. The PSE pump controls door locks, fuel door,
trunk opening, rear seat headrests, antitheft. Simple check even if it is done to rule this out. Look
for dampness, rust, water line marks.

It is not sufficient to visually check the fuse. If water entered, each fuse must be pulled, cleaned
and checked using a continuity tester. Fuse clusters under the rear seat, on the left end of the
dash (must open door to access), and under the hood. There are other inline fuses etc but I
don't think those are suspect.

I don't understand the relevance of the key fob batteries being changed if the key has been stolen.
What key then are you using in order to operate the car?

You also need to systematically check for voltage in each key area and to each appliance you
identified as not working. You haven't reported the car battery voltage (at rest, as well as when
battery is under heavy load) so report back.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:57 PM

2002 E320
I was talking about the key inside the fob. Last night after slamming rear passenger door, my windshield wipers worked for a quick second and it worked long enough for my dog to roll down the back window, then it quit working again. There is water in the air pump. Thanks for helping me.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Originally Posted by Lisa Boucher
I was talking about the key inside the fob. Last night after slamming rear passenger door, my windshield wipers worked for a quick second and it worked long enough for my dog to roll down the back window, then it quit working again. There is water in the air pump. Thanks for helping me.
Go to a shop.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:27 PM

2002 E320
I went to pick a part and got a air pump. Everything started working again except my door locks and trunk release. Any suggestions>
Old 04-08-2019, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
depending on the part number you had previously vs the one you picked up, the 'handshaking' may
still be needed to have the pump know what features are on the car. hard to say without being there