E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E300TD question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E300TD question

Newbie here,
Am considering buying a 98 or 99 E300TD, which are hard enough to find as it is. To make matters worse, the NADA value is in the low 20s, but listings from MB dealers and Autotrader are in the mid to upper 20s. What gives?
Old 06-26-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Late Built 2005 W-211 E-320 CDI
W-210 E-300 Pricing?

They are priced high because people ask and do get those prices!

There were less than 6,600 total units brought into N A for MYs '98 and '99.

Currently in the L A subs. there is a '99 Starmark advertised for $32,995. Its the only one listed in the Times!

I paid $29K for my Starmark Certified '99 last August.

Now if you want an E-320 gasser, they're all over the place for much much less. But who would? Certainly, not any of us?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:46 PM

So it appears that NADA does not take into account production numbers or desireability?
Old 06-28-2004, 04:37 PM

W-210 E-300 Pricing

I suppose so.

What does NADA list the vehicle for?

Starmark listed cars are much higher for several reasons.

Because they are being floored by Stealerships and are warrantied up to 100K miles.

And they are usually very clean with low mileage. MBZs cannot be certified unless they have less than 100K miles. Get up on the Starmark certified listings and view some of the high prices that are being asked. The one that is advertised in the L A Times (SilverStar MBZ in Westlake CA) is price $2K higher on the website than in the newspaper. $33K is high, but $35K on the Starmark web listings! That car has 61K miles and sounds really nice, but at over $30K, Not for me! Mine is nice, but I paid $28 last August but it had more mileage at 81K miles.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:07 PM

Both NADA and KBB show about $20k for a 99 with 90k miles. What is the base transferable warranty for these cars w/o starmark? I've seen both rust and glow plug issues in this forum, any others to look out for? Thanks
Old 06-28-2004, 09:34 PM

Talking Warranty?

Out of warranty in both cases. Original factory warranty is good for only four years and 50K if I recall correctly.

Rust is not a problem on any of the cars I've seen, at least not out here in the West. I too have read about the glow plug issues, but haven't had that problem yet, although I do have a check engine light on now plus the glow plug light is also on continuiously. It has been that way for several thousand miles, and I've placed a tape over the light and am ignoring it.
The car starts up fine just as it always has and continues to drive well with no evidence that there is anything wrong. I had the codes read once, but didn't catch what they were, but the CEL returned. The independent mechanic the cleared the codes and the CEL said it was nothing to be concerned about. He charged me nothing, but the agency that I had just left wanted 2 1/2 hours at their regular hourly rate ( $95 ? ) just to read the codes! I even talked to one of the Penskes and he backed up the shop manager. Guess where I won't be dealing for anything at all? This proceedure took the independent garage owner less than five minutes from the time he grabbed his scanner and walked out to the car, plugged it in, did everything, and was finished!
The Stealerships wonder why some of us are upset.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:51 AM

E320 CDI
whoa there captian. before anyone freaks about glow plugs they need to understand that is a procedure that a shade tree mechanic can preform. also glowplugs are consumables on mercedes and all diesels that use glow plugs they are SUPPOSE to be changed.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:01 PM

How often? I'm at 100k on my 98 Jetta TDI with no indication of glow plug issues...
Old 07-02-2004, 09:50 AM

'71 280SE
My take on the W210 E300DT

Living in SOCAL you have the flexibility to continue to drive fairly normally with (a) failed plug(s).

When I developed your symptoms last December, I was concerned about not being able to start the engine unless the problem was fixed. Full story here:
http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2066

IMHO, the STARMARK cars are worth the extra money. I have already spent more on repairs than I "saved" by not having the extra warranty coverage.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:36 PM

Smile Glow plug problems?

Originally Posted by ed-E300TD
Living in SOCAL you have the flexibility to continue to drive fairly normally with (a) failed plug(s).

When I developed your symptoms last December, I was concerned about not being able to start the engine unless the problem was fixed. Full story here:
http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2066

IMHO, the STARMARK cars are worth the extra money. I have already spent more on repairs than I "saved" by not having the extra warranty coverage.
Guess perhaps you are refering to me here in SoCal?

What exactly was your car doing that indicated to you that you had a glow plug problem?

Please, not trying to be nosey, but I would like to know if that's my problem also?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:46 PM

'71 280SE
My glowplug light came on while I was driving one day. Then during the start sequence, it would go out momentarily, then come back on for the duration. It was joined by the Check Engine light. Turned out that I had a bad plug (or two), and then discovered that the dealer couldn't get them out of the head.

Carbon build up was the apparent cause, "hardly ever happens" said the dealer.

Last edited by ed-E300TD; 07-02-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-03-2004, 12:03 AM

Smile Exactly!

That is exactly how my problem started and continues to act. This has been going on now for approximately 5K miles, and doesn't ever change.

I've placed a small piece of black electrical tape over the light because it is rather bright at night.

The car starts up the same as it always has, and driveability seems to be unchanged. I wonder if I'm hurting anything, but don't believe that I am?

As you have already pointed out, in this relatively mild climate, having all the glow plugs functioning is not really manditory. The car is garaged. Perhaps in the winter I'd be having problems, but maybe not, as the temperature in my garage doesn't drop below about 55 degrees even when it is in the low 30s outside.

Many thanks for all the helpful information. At least I now know for sure what is happening.

When I go to start the car, the glow plug lamp lights, then the indicator lamp goes out, I start it up, and it does start right up same as it always did, and then the lamp comes back on and stays on continueiously.

What do you think? Drive it like that until I start having difficulty starting it?

Maybe I can trade it in like that? Suppose the used car appraiser would spot the problem?

Anyhow, thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:34 PM

The carbon build up comment would have me concerned. The VW Tdi's are becoming infamous for having the intake clog up because of the combination of egr and ccv for 'pollution control'.
Any others having carbon build up?
Old 07-06-2004, 02:02 AM

'98 E300 TD
If the car your interested in is StarMark certified, then many of the issues you are discussing will be taken care of. I purchased my '98 E300 from a dealer and it was not StarMark certified. After 6,000 miles ( Car originally had 53,000 when purchased) the glow plug light went on. The repair from a certified MB mechanic was $720. That is $200 less than the dealer wanted. Except oil changes, that is the ONLY repair I have needed in the two years I have owned this car. I love it. If your financial situation says buy an expensive European auto. Then you have selected a wonderful car. The diesels are workhorses. In Europe they are used as taxis. The reason they only sell about 3300 each year in the U.S. is that Americans are not well educated on diesel autos. Check out the reviews on the new 320 CDI that is available now. The reviews make you proud to own a MB diesel. If you like the car, don't let the glow plugs stand in your way.
Old 07-07-2004, 10:03 AM

I know I've drifted a bit on this thread, but a couple of questions came up that have not been answered.
1. maintenance interval for glow plugs?
2. carbon buildup on intake manifold, any problems or occurances?
Thanks all
Old 07-14-2004, 10:24 AM

Let me bump this back up...any e300td owners out there?
Old 08-13-2004, 02:45 PM

Your silence must indicate that these are not real issues to worry about.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:39 PM

Arrow Minor Trouble?

Originally Posted by nmmb
Your silence must indicate that these are not real issues to worry about.
See my post above.

Mileage with the CEL on now is approximately nine thousand and there does not seem to be any problems, so until there is, I'll continue to motor on. Now that might be a problem in your area especially in the winter if you were parking outside, but here in warm Southern California and parked inside a warm garage, it is starting up the same as it always has.

I've not had the car since new, so I can't tell you how often glow plugs need replacement. I do know that there are no problems with carbon build up as with the TDIs. The further mine Benz goes, the better it runs. No oil at all consumption between changes at 20000, and the car seems to be getting stronger with the added mileages.

Try it, you'll like it!