E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 facelift e430 steering fluid sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 facelift e430 steering fluid sensor

My car was in for work and weeks later I get a low steering gear fluid warning on the dashboard. Sure enough it's low. Top it up and it's not going down. 2 problems. Firstly I can't work out which connector to use on the car soft set up to access the sps module (38 pin or the obd) to clear the fault. Secondly I thought I would remove, clean and check the operation of the fluid level sensor.....but can't find it. On the facelift station wagon the reservoir is near the washer reservoirs but I can't see any wires going to it. Can anyone help please
Old 04-04-2020, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Problem solved

Firstly the steering fluid sensor is just a reed switch operated by a magnet in a float. The sensor has to be installed with the connector pointing away from the engine. The float is permanently installed in the reservoir. Check it floats when you fill the reservoir - note even if it floats it will be fully submerged even with the fluid is at the lowest mark. The circuit runs from the dashboard via one of the 2 connectors in the back of the dash - its marked i. Its a green wire. It runs through the main fusebox and then across the bulkhead just below the wiper motor. After its passed around the secondary fusebox/ aircon control it heads down side of the car and joins with a brown earth wire and down to the sensor.

So my fault....a mouse had chewed through the wire in the tray just below the wipe motor.
The following users liked this post:
khomer2 (04-04-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by punkieys17
Firstly the steering fluid sensor is just a reed switch operated by a magnet in a float. The sensor has to be installed with the connector pointing away from the engine. The float is permanently installed in the reservoir. Check it floats when you fill the reservoir - note even if it floats it will be fully submerged even with the fluid is at the lowest mark. The circuit runs from the dashboard via one of the 2 connectors in the back of the dash - its marked i. Its a green wire. It runs through the main fusebox and then across the bulkhead just below the wiper motor. After its passed around the secondary fusebox/ aircon control it heads down side of the car and joins with a brown earth wire and down to the sensor.

So my fault....a mouse had chewed through the wire in the tray just below the wipe motor.
punkieye17,

Great resolution to your own issue.
Cheers for sharing this.
Few members with an issue never update their own threads to keep the rest of the pack updated on their issue(s).