E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

HELP NEEDED: C32 Brake Upgrade and Master Cylinder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
HELP NEEDED: C32 Brake Upgrade and Master Cylinder

I have been wanting to upgrade to the C32 brakes (like Alex, yo ) but my mechanic told me today that my OEM master cylinder (for the 2 port sytem) is not designed to cope with the pressures needed for the 4 port system - the C32 master cylinder is clearly a lot larger than mine (bearing in mind mine is only a 2.4 liter). He said he's seen a few losing pressure and finally destroying the valves in the master cylinder

Many of you here have done the BBK's without any problems but I'm thinking maybe your master cylinders are the larger type since you all have 3.2 liter or larger engines. What my mech says seems to make some sense but can any techies here confirm before I drop the idea of a BBK upgrade?
Old 07-15-2004, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by Whitey
I have been wanting to upgrade to the C32 brakes (like Alex, yo ) but my mechanic told me today that my OEM master cylinder (for the 2 port sytem) is not designed to cope with the pressures needed for the 4 port system - the C32 master cylinder is clearly a lot larger than mine (bearing in mind mine is only a 2.4 liter). He said he's seen a few losing pressure and finally destroying the valves in the master cylinder

Many of you here have done the BBK's without any problems but I'm thinking maybe your master cylinders are the larger type since you all have 3.2 liter or larger engines. What my mech says seems to make some sense but can any techies here confirm before I drop the idea of a BBK upgrade?
I Did The C32 Brake Upgrade on The Wifes C Coupe and It Does NOT have any Problems..I Would Find another(MECHANIC)
Also Look up the Part Numbers on a EPC
Old 07-15-2004, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks Mark. Please, what's an EPC?
Old 07-15-2004, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by Whitey
Thanks Mark. Please, what's an EPC?

The EPC is Mercedes Parts System.

Your (MECHANIC) Is Wrong re the master cylinder
The Master cylinder compresses Brake fluid...Thats It.
The Brake system is Very Basic...Even with ABS
The ONLY way for a Master Cylinder to Be Losing Pressure is from a Defective Internal Seal ...probably from dirt or old contaminated Brake fluid...
Most People dont change the Brake fluid as required.
Its Best to change it at least Once a Year as it collects Moisture thru the vent in the master cylinder res cap
Old 07-15-2004, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

98 W210 Advantgarde
Thanks again Mark. I don't have access to an EPC but if your wife's C Coupe works, then mine should be OK (surely the E would need more stopping power) and I have regularly changed my brake fluid. I'll see if I can post a pic of my master cylinder later just so you can see how my cylinder looks compared to what you guys have.
Old 07-16-2004, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
i agree with mark................