E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

HELP! NEW ALT, BATTERIES NO START

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Angry HELP! NEW ALT, BATTERIES NO START

Hi everyone, I’ve been reading a lot of the threads and gotten a lot of great advice but this is my 1st time sending asking for help.
About a month ago my son’s 04’ MB e320 started having that red battery light come one, and we had checked the voltage w/ a Digital Multimeter and thought it was the Voltage regulator, but when we tried to change that, a part of the alternator broke, so we CHANGED THE ALTERNATOR AND VOLTAGE REGULATOR.
The car kept running but the red battery light stayed on and another message saying that the car was going to shut down came on.
He kept driving the car, and we did another Voltage check on the batteries and it was really low and batteries were old so we CHANGED THE MAIN BATTERY.
The warning lights did not come on for about 1week, and then boom the red light came back and the shut down warning. So I checked the aux battery and it was the original so I CHANGED THE AUX BATTERY.
After changing the Aux battery, the car wasn’t starting. I jumped the battery and then did a voltage check and the voltage was below 10, even with raising the rpm’s to 2000, the voltage didnt change and at idle the car started to idle very low and then died!
I am at a loss!! Can someone tell me where I should start? Is it possible that the alternator wasn’t hooked up correctly, bad ground? Could there be a short that could cause the batteries from charging?
Any help or advice would be sooo appreciated. The whole COVID situation has put us in a financial circumstance where I cant afford to take it into the shop, so I have to try to figure this out myself as best as I can.
Thank you in advance!
Old 07-08-2020, 04:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,044 Likes on 967 Posts
1999 E300TD
I think you may be in the wrong forum. I believe an 04MY would be a w211